Before setting up my first pool ever...

Jul 13, 2016
Rock Island, IL
First off - hello and thanks for this great resource! I'm brand new to pools and never done ANY chemistry. With that said I've already read up on POOL SCHOOL and most of the Table of Contents. Great info.

Before I can get to testing, I need a little assistance with recommendations:

1. Before I setup the pool in signature, I'm wanting to know if the stock Intex pump and filter will be sufficient or if I should upgrade BEFORE I even start. If so, what would be a sufficient sized, reasonably priced choice?

2. I'm convinced a SWG is what I want. Which one? I assume an Intex.

3. Any other recommendations?

4. Which test kit? I saw the 4 recommended ones, but for my setup which is best? Leaning towards the TFTestkits
TF-100.

Thanks in advance! Casey

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you!

Is this an existing pool or are you building new? If it is existing and the equipment is working, I wouldn't mess with it. You can upgrade down the road. No need to make your learning curve harder just for the sake of upgrading.

I calculate your pool volume to be 5300 gallons, not 4440. But that's assuming 48" is the actual water depth. If the water level is actually 42", it would be 4650 gallons.

I would recommend the TF-100 test kit and get the Speedstir with it. Makes mixing reagents a breeze!

New pool still in the box. Walls are 48" but info at store said water depth of 40" and 4,440 gallons. That's what I based my numbers off of.
I have been trying to search stuff on here as I go and came across the speedstir on previous post. I'll be getting that and to-100 from a member on here, duraleigh I think.
What about wall brush and nets for leafs and for bugs?
thanks!

You'll definitely need a nice extension pole and brush and skimmer net/leaf rake and vacuum. If the pool doesn't come with any of that, you can pick them up anywhere pool supplies are sold.

Edit: Also, I believe they sell some of the cleaning accessories on TFTestkits.net as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.