Party time

Jun 20, 2016
Feasterville/PA
I'm a newer member of this site so I have a few questions. I am having people over tomorrow for a party. My Cya is around a 45 so I have been keeping my chlorine at about a 6. Should I bump up my chlorine up before the party? Also, I used to shock the pool after having a lot of people in the pool. Should I still do that, or just make sure my chlorine level does not go below a 4.

The general recommendation for bumping up in anticipation of heavy usage is to target 20% of your CYA level for FC. In your case, 20% of 45 is 9 ppm. I would shoot for 9-10 ppm FC before the party.

Check the FC and CC after the party and as long as you still are above the minimum FC for your CYA, pool is clear and 0.5 CC or less, no need to shock the pool after usage.

Welcome :wave:

Funny you should ask as a number of us were discussing this recently.

It is certainly ok to bump up your FC prior to your party. You should not let your FC go below 4ppm so a few extra ppm is fine. You could go all the way up to 8-9ppm if you want (half way to shock level) but I would only do that if the party is going to be huge or involve a lot of kids in the water (kids have a habit of using pools as their personal bathrooms). So adding a little extra is fine and you can go all the way up to half of shock level at your discretion.

As for what to do afterwards, the answer is simple - test your water first! If the FC is low, then restore it to normal levels. You may see a small spike CCs from the higher bather load but that should be temporary. There is no need to "shock" your pool afterwards; we never advocate random "shocking" of water. Let your test results guide your decisions.

Oh, and enjoy your party!!

Good luck,

Matt

Another thing to keep in mind. If your pH tends to rise (e.g. SWG, water features, new plaster, etc.), having a lot of splashing people will add to the effect. Make sure you start the day with your pH at the lower end of the "sweet spot".

2 more questions. Should I raise the chlorine in the morning before the party or the night before? Also, I know u said CC will go up. Is there a number that it should not be above or should I just expect it to go up and eventually return to normal.

2 more questions. Should I raise the chlorine in the morning before the party or the night before? Also, I know u said CC will go up. Is there a number that it should not be above or should I just expect it to go up and eventually return to normal.

A few hours before the party is fine. You can add the additional chlorine and be swim ready within 45mins.

I doubt you'll see CCs much above 1ppm but even 2ppm isn't that bad. You'll know there are CCs around if you can smell that "gross chlorine smell". If they do form it will only be temporarily. It's more of a curiosity than a concern.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.