New pool owner trying to understand my system

Jul 15, 2016
Orlando, FL
Just bought a home with a pool, first time owning one, I have a ton of questions that I'm slowly finding answers to, yet seem stuck on this one, and it seems it would be pretty easy to find an answer to.

I have a pool with a spillover and two pumps, seems one for the pool, one for the spa/spillover. I'm trying to figure out if I need to run both about 8-10 hours a day, or does the one for the spa/spilover just make the bubbles? Here are a couple pictures.

11.jpg

22.jpg

33.jpg

There should be some way to direct filtered water from the main pump into the spa - it needs filtration and "fresh" water from the pool for normal operations (the only time you isolate it is when you're heating it and using it as a spa). It's hard to see the labels from here, but I believe there is possibly a spa return in the infloor picture.

So for normal operation, you want about 80/20% Pool/Spa returns running from the main filter. You then want the spa drain turned off (looks like in your main pump image it is currently turned off) and all drainage coming from the skimmers and possibly a little from the pool's main drain. This will get fresh, chlorinated water to the spa and also prevent a situation where the pump drains the spa due to a blockage in the pool and runs empty. I think the spa/spillover pump is just for the bubbles, but I could be wrong.

There should be some way to direct filtered water from the main pump into the spa - it needs filtration and "fresh" water from the pool for normal operations (the only time you isolate it is when you're heating it and using it as a spa). It's hard to see the labels from here, but I believe there is possibly a spa return in the infloor picture.

So for normal operation, you want about 80/20% Pool/Spa returns running from the main filter. You then want the spa drain turned off (looks like in your main pump image it is currently turned off) and all drainage coming from the skimmers and possibly a little from the pool's main drain. This will get fresh, chlorinated water to the spa and also prevent a situation where the pump drains the spa due to a blockage in the pool and runs empty. I think the spa/spillover pump is just for the bubbles, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. That infloor picture, that pipe is labeled Spa Flow. So you think I need to adjust that lever? Here are direct links to the original images, you may be able to see the labels better.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49609/misc/home/1.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49609/misc/home/2.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49609/misc/home/3.jpg

That's much better! Ok, so "spa flow" looks like the valve is set about how I'd have mine - with most water going to the in-floor and some water going into "spa flow".

So the question I have for you is - When you run the main pump only, does the spa overflow down the spillway?

In pic #2 .... that pipe contains water returning to your pool and spa. The valve allows you to set how much water goes to the pool and to the spa. In normal operation - where you aren't trying to heat and use the spa - you want most of the water flow to go to the pool (but still need some going to the spa for filtration and chlorination). The way the valve is set in the pic provides that.

Your infloor system runs off water returning to the pool. In pic #2, the tan colored dome is the water valve mechanism which diverts water to several zones in the pool. This water valve automatically changes zones while the main pump is running. Each zone probably has 3-5 cleaning heads in the pool bottom. These heads shoot water out to help move debris and dirt toward the main drains. As the heads either extend or retract they rotate slightly. This allows the water coming out to relatively cover the entire pool bottom.

I think your system is manufactured by A&A Manufacturing. While they may have updated their system over the years, it's operating principles are the same. Here's a link to their website: A&A In-floor (QuikClean/MagnaSweep) | A and A Manufacturing | Pool Cleaning Products . That may help you better understand the system operation.

Can you take a pic closer up of all the pipes running into the main pump? Possibly looking from above. This will give a better indication of the labels on the pipes. Also, a pic from the side of the valve right behind the puck chlorinator.

I'm with triptyx - the pump on the right is most probably only for the spa jets and has nothing to do with the spillover into the pool (you don't need to run it unless you are using the spa). And, with only the main pump on, how much water is overflowing from the spa into the pool?

Thanks

That's much better! Ok, so "spa flow" looks like the valve is set about how I'd have mine - with most water going to the in-floor and some water going into "spa flow".

So the question I have for you is - When you run the main pump only, does the spa overflow down the spillway?

Yes, water goes over the spillway during main pump operation as well as when the second pump is on.

In pic #2 .... that pipe contains water returning to your pool and spa. The valve allows you to set how much water goes to the pool and to the spa. In normal operation - where you aren't trying to heat and use the spa - you want most of the water flow to go to the pool (but still need some going to the spa for filtration and chlorination). The way the valve is set in the pic provides that.

Your infloor system runs off water returning to the pool. In pic #2, the tan colored dome is the water valve mechanism which diverts water to several zones in the pool. This water valve automatically changes zones while the main pump is running. Each zone probably has 3-5 cleaning heads in the pool bottom. These heads shoot water out to help move debris and dirt toward the main drains. As the heads either extend or retract they rotate slightly. This allows the water coming out to relatively cover the entire pool bottom.

I think your system is manufactured by A&A Manufacturing. While they may have updated their system over the years, it's operating principles are the same. Here's a link to their website: A&A In-floor (QuikClean/MagnaSweep) | A and A Manufacturing | Pool Cleaning Products . That may help you better understand the system operation.

Can you take a pic closer up of all the pipes running into the main pump? Possibly looking from above. This will give a better indication of the labels on the pipes. Also, a pic from the side of the valve right behind the puck chlorinator.

I'm with triptyx - the pump on the right is most probably only for the spa jets and has nothing to do with the spillover into the pool (you don't need to run it unless you are using the spa). And, with only the main pump on, how much water is overflowing from the spa into the pool?

Thanks

Here is a shot of the main pump, the area circled is not labeled and the previous owner had no idea what it does. I can not figure it out either. If you can't read any labels, let me know and I know tell you what they are.

1. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49609/misc/home/main.jpg
2. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49609/misc/home/overhead.jpg

The tab chlorinator is attached to that one. Do you have return jets in the walls? My theory is that pipe would go to the wall return jets in the pool.

I have jets that spit out water, is that what you mean, several of them actually, also here is a pic of the actual pool and spa. That pvc thing behind the spa seems to grab air for the bubbles I'm guessing.

1. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49609/misc/home/pool1.jpg
2. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49609/misc/home/spa1.jpg
3. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49609/misc/home/spa2.jpg

With the main pump off and the pump on the right on - does water continue to flow over the spillway at the same rate after 5-10 minutes?

On the main pump suction side, you have...
Spa drain - is presently off - should remain off unless using spa or draining it.
Deep skim - is presently on - not sure exactly what this is - but I'd turn 1/2 way off
Skimmer - always open - presently not on - it's the vertical pipe going into ground
Main drain - is presently open 100% - should be open 1/3-1/4 open

If you change the suction side valves by the main pump as indicated above - you will get some suction from the main drains to assist the infloor in keeping the floor relatively clean and get adequate suction through the skimmer to effectively skim the pool surface. You will probably have to tweak those settings to be optimal for your pool - as each pool is different - but those settings will be a good starting point. You should still be brushing the pool walls and floor at least weekly.

As for the valve by the puck feeder - in its present position it routes water through the puck feeder and the vertical pipe going into the ground. But i have no idea what the vertical pipe feeds. You could try SLOWLY turning that valve toward off while watching the filter pressure gauge and checking to see if water is returning to the pool at the same rate as with valve totally open.

How about a few pics of the pool from different angles so we can see where the skimmer, deep skim, infloor cleaning heads, main drains and any other fittings enter the pool and spa?

Please update your signature with your pool info as discussed here: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are those jets in the pool too, or only the spa?

Yes, pipe behind spa is air intake for spa jets.

In spa, with only main pump on, does water return to spa out of all jets or only one or two?

A closeup pic of one of the in floor cleaning heads would help too.

There are several jets in the spa as well as the pool
With main pump off and other on, do both spa and pool jets have water coming out or only spa?

From what I can tell it returns by just one jet, I can verify this if you need me to
Ok, that's pretty typical. With only main pump on, that's returning some water to spa when return valve by infloor water valve is open a little on the spa side. This allows water to flow into spa for circulation and water exchange.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.