Green Cloudy Pool - Too much CYA

Aug 17, 2014
Jeanerette, LA
Hi, I've used this site to manage my pool for a while but have never posted. I really appreciate your no-nonsense / inexpensive approach to pool management. I have a 24' round above ground pool. Had it about 15 years. Last week my test strips fooled me and I added some stabilizer, which evidently I didn't need. Now I have a green, cloudy pool with 5 -10 ppm FC. Question is, if I lower my pool level and refill with fresh water and then still have a good FC level, what do I do? Do I wait for it to clear up on it's own or do I shock?

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

My first suggestion is to stop using test strips.

I will tell you, it didn't turn green overnight and it will take time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that was for a lot less money than the pool store.

We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with ABCs of Water Chemistry and Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.