Raising CYA

May 28, 2009
Ok, so I just started up a pool. Its an IG Vnyl 25,000 gal. pool

My pH is 7.7
TA is 160 (but doesnt seem to be causing any spikes in pH or scaling)

Since it was a freshly filled pool I realize that my pool has no CYA. I was told by the pool people to buy some pucks and some "Shock it" and I would be fine. So, I did that and now I am out of the "shock it" and I still have pucks but I dont know how to keep chlorine up in the pool while is sit around and wait for the pucks to dissolve and give me some of that good ol' CYA. I am going back to that pool place tomorrow to pick up a taylor k-2006 test kit and never go back. However, when I go back tomorrow I want to be a little more informed on my options.

Are there any suggestions about what I can do to raise my CYA quickly or at least keep my chlorine up enough to not worry about algae and other stuff?

Any help is appreciated.

Ditto - very often users report back that they "couldn't find the kit" (90% of the time) and then ended up buying the wrong kit or a cheap imitation.

You're better off just ordering it online tonight. I highly recommend the TF100 - a better deal for the money IMHO. There's an article in Pool School that compares the two tests - you'll see the TF100 gives you more reagents for certain tests, allowing more key testing to be performed.

Thanks peeps!

I was going to buy the TF-100 and I did see the article. I called up the pool store and asked them if they had the TF-100 or Taylor (I made the mistake of not asking for the specific kit). They said they had taylor. So, if they have that specific kit tomorrow I will buy it out of convenience, if not, then i will buy the TF-100 tomorrow afternoon online.

I have another question for you Jason,

Since I have a vinyl pool is there a specific way to apply the CYA?

Also the pool calculator says I will need 346 oz of liquid stabilizer or 134 oz by weight. Does this seem correct? If it is, are there different kinds of stabilizer? Powder? Liquid? and so on? If there is, should I lean one way or the other for a vinyl liner?

Oh and since this is an acid what can I expect this to do to my perfect pH? :cry:

CYA is slow dissolving, but maybe not as bad as you've read elsewhere.

This week I filled one of my wife's old nylon knee-highs (actually 2 nested knee-highs) with about 1.5 lbs of (dry granular) CYA and hung it from a board about 1 foot in front of the return jet. Within 8 hours the CYA was completely dissolved. 3 more loads over 2 days and I had all I needed.

Yes, CYA dissolves slowly. But if you dissolve it where you can monitor it instead of running it through the skimmer and then wondering whether it dissolved or not, you'll be fine.

TheExecutive said:
Thanks peeps!

I was going to buy the TF-100 and I did see the article. I called up the pool store and asked them if they had the TF-100 or Taylor (I made the mistake of not asking for the specific kit). They said they had taylor. So, if they have that specific kit tomorrow I will buy it out of convenience, if not, then i will buy the TF-100 tomorrow afternoon online.

I have another question for you Jason,

Since I have a vinyl pool is there a specific way to apply the CYA?

Also the pool calculator says I will need 346 oz of liquid stabilizer or 134 oz by weight. Does this seem correct? If it is, are there different kinds of stabilizer? Powder? Liquid? and so on? If there is, should I lean one way or the other for a vinyl liner?

Oh and since this is an acid what can I expect this to do to my perfect pH? :cry:

Is it okay for me to answer? :whip:

CYA comes in liquid or granular, the liquid being 2-3 times more expensive, but it registers on tests right away. Granular can take up to a week to fully dissolve and register on your tests. We advise to put the granular in a sock and either tie it off in front of the return or set it to the side in the skimmer, not blocking the water flow. IT will dissolve from the sock and continue to dissolve for 4-5 days or so. We advise not to retest for CYA after granular additions - for about a week.

The CYA will likely lower the PH - I just added some and mine dropped a tad. But your 7.7 can handle it. Your TA will drop a tad also.

Re: the kit - If they have it instock then by all means, you'll have it tomorrow after all! Just make sure they have the K-2006 with the FAS-DPD test, and they don't try to sneak by with the K-2005 that is just a DPD test. There is a huge difference between these two kits, don't let them tell you otherwise! :wink:

frustratedpoolmom said:
Is it okay for me to answer? :whip:

CYA comes in liquid or granular, the liquid being 2-3 times more expensive, but it registers on tests right away. Granular can take up to a week to fully dissolve and register on your tests. We advise to put the granular in a sock and either tie it off in front of the return or set it to the side in the skimmer, not blocking the water flow. IT will dissolve from the sock and continue to dissolve for 4-5 days or so. We advise not to retest for CYA after granular additions - for about a week.

The CYA will likely lower the PH - I just added some and mine dropped a tad. But your 7.7 can handle it. Your TA will drop a tad also.

Re: the kit - If they have it instock then by all means, you'll have it tomorrow after all! Just make sure they have the K-2006 with the FAS-DPD test, and they don't try to sneak by with the K-2005 that is just a DPD test. There is a huge difference between these two kits, don't let them tell you otherwise! :wink:

I totally tried to stealth edit that before you noticed :oops: . Sorry. Anyway does 8.75 lbs sound about right for the amount of CYA if at 0? That just seems like SO much!

I'm just teasin.... :mrgreen:

Yes, that calculation is correct.

What kind of filter do you have?

Actually, now would be a good time to create a signature. Put your pool info/specs there. Go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature. :goodjob:

frustratedpoolmom said:
I'm just teasin.... :mrgreen:

Yes, that calculation is correct.

What kind of filter do you have?

Actually, now would be a good time to create a signature. Put your pool info/specs there. Go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature. :goodjob:

It should be down there now 8)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
frustratedpoolmom said:
Okay great, so that CYA should bring you up to 50. With backwashing your sand filter, that number will slowly drop over the season, FYI. You can usually add about 2 lbs to a sock at a time.

Thanks so much! I wish I could be as helpful to you as you were to me! In any case you are the queen :mrgreen:

Well the key here is water flow/circulation. 1 sock in the skimmer with a pump on high and it should dissolve rather quickly. I found my CYA dissolved quicker hanging in front of the return (I run my pump on low and I have a bottom drain, so set to 50/50 the skimmer flow was rather weak).

If you had one sock in the skimmer and one in front of the return, you'd be done quicker. Make sure you keep the pump running while it's dissolving, that way you don't have to worry about concentrated acidic levels.

Stepping back just a pace...
TheExecutive said:
now I am out of the "shock it" and I still have pucks but I dont know how to keep chlorine up in the pool while is sit around and wait for the pucks to dissolve and give me some of that good ol' CYA.
The pucks are trichlor, they have both chlorine and CYA. In my pool, two pucks in a floater keep the pool adequately chlorinated for about a week. Yours is bigger, you'd want 3-4 in there.

As you're going to get straight CYA, this doesn't matter too much at the moment, but the pucks are handy if you go on vacation. A week or two of pucks won't raise the CYA enough to be a problem.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.