Crape Myrtles, is there a better solution for their flower stains? Did I panic?

I had just finished brushing and vacuuming the pool after yard work and a thunderstorm came up and blew Crape Myrtles flowers by the pound into the pool, I skimmed the surface within an hour and removed most, but then I noticed on the bottom in a couple corners of the shallow end quite a bit of staining from the debris. I immediately vacuumed and brushed again with no success, I panicked and dumped 8 cups chlorine in and went to scrubbing again, well with a lot of elbow grease I think I got the stains gone.

I started reading on the forum about these debris makers and I found a lot of posts to cut them down, but I found an older one that said the normal chlorine levels will take care of them but just need a little time to work, did i jump the gun and panic? Would the chlorine normal levels have removed the stains by say the next morning?

Would appreciate it if any of you more knowledgable pool owners know the answer, we just put this fiberglass pool in last year and I am trying to keep the stains to a minimum. And I did check with the landscape boss, no more tree removal is allowed (I removed 6 in the back yard), not even
Crape Myrtles the have become trees on the other side of the house.

Appreciate your thoughts. Keith

Last edited:
Probably not by the next morning. Raising FC A few ppm above target and brushing will get rid of the stains. Just some regular brushing, not scrubbing.

We also have a crepe myrtle that drops a bunch of debris into the pool. I try to hand skim and the pool skimmers do a pretty good job of getting the rest. I have to replace the skimmer nets (thank goodness for hairnets!) about every other day. We've just learned to live with it, since we don't want to get rid of it. But, we haven't had any staining.

Hey, neighbor. I'm not sure the dimensions on your pool, but we have a neighbor that is now covering his pool with the enclosure netting on a roll (like a solar cover but basically aluminum mesh netting). He's not getting any debris and no side effects of using a true cover in our summer heat.

Hey, neighbor. I'm not sure the dimensions on your pool, but we have a neighbor that is now covering his pool with the enclosure netting on a roll (like a solar cover but basically aluminum mesh netting). He's not getting any debris and no side effects of using a true cover in our summer heat.

Hey right back neighbor. I am curious about this cover, I have a shade sail over my pool and wanting to maybe go to two sails. I use them of course to beat the sun, been able to keep my water temp around 73 with sail and aerating one deck jet during the night, but with our many afternoon thunderstorms the sail has to come down in the afternoon quite often. Maybe your neighbors mesh would beat two problems, and keep the pool clean, My pool is rectangle 14 x 28.

Appreciate any more info on the mesh if you can.

Thanks, Keith

- - - Updated - - -

Marla, Thanks, got them on order, appreciate the link, Keith

His setup is very DIY... Aluminum screening on a roll, that roll is placed on a pool cover roller... He rolls out the screening all the way over the pool and then anchors it on the far end with tent stakes. Simple. I'll get a pic.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.