Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air in pump basket

1. Back To Top    #1

Air in pump basket

Split off of Leak on suction side. Please ask questions in your own topic. JasonLion

I think I have a similar problem. when my pressure rasies approx 5psi, I get some bubbles in the pump basket, and air bubbles out of one return jet. I did read something that said just put pvc glue near the connections coming into the pump? does this sound like the same issue and a viable solution? I've never noticed hissing.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air in pump basket

You need to figure out where the leak is before you can try fixing it with glue. By far the most likely place is the O-ring around the lid to the pump strainer basket. Make sure it is clean and free of nicks and cuts and well lubricated.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Air in pump basket

Quote Originally Posted by reebok
    I think I have a similar problem. when my pressure rasies approx 5psi, I get some bubbles in the pump basket, and air bubbles out of one return jet. I did read something that said just put pvc glue near the connections coming into the pump? does this sound like the same issue and a viable solution? I've never noticed hissing.
    When pressure rises in a filter, the suction should decrease and bubbles should also decrease. So what you are seeing is opposite of what I would expect. Is the 5 PSI rise due to a dirty filter or something else?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner