Opened this year with a switch Chlorine

Feb 13, 2016
Boston, MA
First time posting here on troublefreepool. We bought a house with a pool last year and the prior owner had used baquacil for years. This is the first year opening the pool on our own and We decided to go with chlorine. After reading the encouraging posts here we purchased the TF-100 testing kit and we would like to begin the process of breaking up with our local pool store. ;) So I'm hoping to get some help with getting the pool in check.

Here's what we have a 22000 gallon pool with a vinyl liner that receives a good amount of sun during the day. Today the testing kit arrived and our 1st results are below.

Today's Test
FC 2
CC 1
CH 575
TA 200
CYA 70
PH 7.2

Yep. We've read the through that link.
We didn't use any baquacil information since we closed the pool last year. We opened the pool memorial day weekend and it has been pretty clear so far. A few weeks back we were told hi that we had a demand issue and we then put in 14 bags of burnout 73 that was two weeks ago. We've been keeping up with the"regular maintenance" of 2 lbs of the burnout and algaecide. We've kept 4 sticks in the skimmer basket.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I want to make sure I understand what you are doing.

Your pool was baquacil correct?

You want to change to chlorine correct?

You opened your pool Memorial day weekend so that would be End of May. When you opened the pool you did what? (This is the BIG question)

How does you water look today?

What test kit do you have?

Your first job is to take out the sticks and do not add any more of the burn out. Your CYA is already on the high side.

Your next job is to put your pool info your signature-setting-upper right, edit signature-middle left. Put in your pool size (gals.) kind, equipment kind, test kit, special features.

Once you have done those two things you should start following the procedure in the link Yippie gave you.

It looks like you have a good grasp on what needs to be done. I just want to make sure we have you well covered.

Kim:cat:

Thanks Kim and apologies for any confusion. I address each of your questions below in blue.

I want to make sure I understand what you are doing.

Your pool was baquacil correct? Correct the last baquacil product was added in Aug 2015

You want to change to chlorine correct? At the end of May 2016 we opened the pool with Chlorine

You opened your pool Memorial day weekend so that would be End of May. When you opened the pool you did what? (This is the BIG question) We removed the cover and vacuumed the pool. The exact amount we added eludes my memory but, we shocked the pool, added some balence pak 100, some Lo 'N Slo and algae inhibitor.

How does you water look today? Crystal clear

What test kit do you have? TF-100

Your first job is to take out the sticks and do not add any more of the burn out. Your CYA is already on the high side.

Your next job is to put your pool info your signature-setting-upper right, edit signature-middle left. Put in your pool size (gals.) kind, equipment kind, test kit, special features.

Once you have done those two things you should start following the procedure in the link Yippie gave you.

It looks like you have a good grasp on what needs to be done. I just want to make sure we have you well covered.

I'll remove the sticks before I head out to work this morning.
Thanks so much for the help. :D

I am mobile for a while so cannot do links so I am going to tell you what links I want you to find be looking in the Table Of Contents on the home page.

Recommended levels page - print it out

Recommended chemicals - bookmark

ABC pool school - bookmark...this will take some rereading as it is a LOT of info.

You will see you are at the top with your CYA. Those sticks add it as does any solid form of chlorine. Liquid chlorine from now on please.

Send me a pm please to help me remember to get up with you when I get home.

I am home and have the links set and ready to go now!

These links will answers most of your questions. Look at each one and really read it. Some of them you will have to read a few times LOL It is a LOT of info!

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Once you have gone over these links let me know if you still have questions.

We're still trying to get the FC up and aren't having much luck. Last night we added 2 gallons of chlorine(12.5%) and ran the filter all night and today. Then today when we got home from work we did a new test and we're still barely registering chlorine. We get the chlorine test to barely turn pink once we let it sit for a minute.

One random question I have is why is there no input for CC or TC on the Pool Math calculator?

Today's Results
FC: 1
CC: 0.5
TC: 1.5
CH: 375
TA: 220
CYA: 80
Ph: 7.5

According to pool math we should be adding in 112oz of chlorine tonight. Any idea why the 2 gallons we added last night didn't work?

Thanks again. I feel like were getting the hang of it but the pool is still cloudy.

Okay I am here again. I have been on the road quite a bit but should be home for a little while now. Lets really get started on clearing your pool. Here is a link for doing a SLAM:

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Think about printing it out so you can review it often. At the very least bookmark it so you can find it easy.

The most important part of the SLAM is M as in maintain..........you really need to test and dose your FC at least 3 days a day. Try for more if possible.

Your FC is being used up by the sun and what ever is in your water (guessing algae trying to take over). You are in a battle and to win you have to use FC to over come the yucky stuff in your water.

See if this would work for you:

-morning after coffee started-test and dose FC to SLAM level for your CYA level

-home from work-change clothes-test and dose

-after dinner-test and dose

-before bed-test and dose

It may take a while but this WILL clear your pool if you do everything in your power to keep the FC up at SLAM level.

Lets see how this goes.

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim! We had already been reading up on SLAMing the pool and we started the process last night. Just prior to starting we backwashed and cleaned up the filter. We ended up adding over 4 gallons of chlorine last night. We tested again this morning prior to going to work and added something like 191oz. We will be keeping on top of it tonight after work and tomorrow. I will reach back out as my wife and I have questions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hold on. I am not seeing where you followed the conversion process that is in the first link provided to you.

Did you follow and do ALL those steps?

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Hold on. I am not seeing where you followed the conversion process that is in the first link provided to you.

Did you follow and do ALL those steps?

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
Hi jbizzle! We opened the pool with chlorine back at the end of May. I may have shared that with Kim in a PM I'll update signature more when I am back in front of my computer

We've been SLAMming since Thursday night. Here's a summary of our chemical readings in the last 12 hours - we've tested three times:

11:00 PM last night - pool was foggy (2 on scale of 1-5, with 5 being clear)
FC 18.5
CC: 1
TC: 19.5
PH: 7.5
CYA: 70

Per pool math and Chlorine/CYA chart, we added liquid chlorine (ended up being a couple gallons worth; don't recall exact amount) to achieve a FC of 28.

7:00 AM this morning:
pool was noticeably clearer (4 on scale of 1-5, with 5 being clear)
FC: 23
TC: 23.5
PH: 7.5
CYA: 70

Again, per calculator/recommended levels to get to Shock FC of 28, we added liquid chlorine -- was approx. 100 ounces.

11:30 this morning: pool was same as 7am (4 on scale of 1-5, with 5 being clear)
FC: 6
TC: 6.5
PH: 7.6
CYA: 65

Once again, added liquid chlorine to get to Shock FC of 28. Pool math had us add 3 gallons and 1 qt.

We did not follow the overnight FC loss test protocol last night, but, unless we are guided otherwise, we will continue to test the water every couple hours today and add liquid chlorine accordingly. We will plan on doing the FC loss test tonight/tomorrow morning.

Do these results from the last 12 hours sound consistent with what you would expect?

Separately, we are nearly out of a few of the testing chemicals since we've been doing it so frequently in the last two days. Any guidance as to where we can pick those up or what to look for in products a local pool store offers?

Thanks for your help so far. We're definitely making progress.

i would focus on just FC each time, CC at least once/day, dont worry about pH as it is not accurate with high FC, nor CYA as it doesn't change. And when starting the OCLT, be sure to measure FC after the last batch of chlorine is mixed (added after sun goes down), dont assume calc value is correct.

I just ran a test and the results are below. I wanted to mention that our pool gets sunlight for around 7 to 8 hours a day. We've also been running the filter 24 hours for the last week.

Our CYA is super up and the chlorine didn't turn pink until I let it sit for a few minutes and then it turned a very pale pink. We're going through some bottles of chlorine it seems like.

Results

FC:
CYA:

Sorry, I still have not seen where you confirmed you followed the conversion when you opened. I do not know what "opened with chlorine" means.

Sure seems like you are having very high losses even though your CYA is high which should greatly reduce the losses to the sun. Clearly there is still something in the water.

The pool is crystal clear :D

A question about the FC test: should we expect the powder to turn the water pink immediately (which it does when the FC is high)? Or is it ok if there is no reaction immediately, but after 1-2 minutes the water turns pink? Does the second scenario - no immediate, but an eventual, reaction - mean FC 0?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.