Looking for confirmation

Apr 17, 2016
Scott, LA
Whats up pool people. obviously i'm new here so..hello. and as most newbies do..i'm coming with a problem...an algae problem. I have read the pool school a few times over the last two years that i have discovered you guys and its helped every step of the way. I'm still new to the pool maintenance although i have had this pool for 4 years now with the new house.

My issue is, my pool is green. I work at a place that has me gone 7 days and home 7 days at a time...so...i'm not home every other week. My wife does her best with her very busy schedule and kids to keep AT LEAST chlorine in the pool cause the way i see it...if she can keep at least that in there, I can take care of the rest when i get home. But this time it got away from me. I was using the home depot brand test kit and recently bit the bullet and got the TF 100, which i like alot more than any other kit i have used.
The Green...I have tried to knock the heck out of it(or i thought i was)for a couple of days now but i'm not seeing any progress. I was hoping to get in there this weekend at least.

My Readings This morning

PH-8.2
FC-26
ALK-180
CYA-100
CH-225
CC-0

I am reading that i need to drain about half of the water. Problem is, water isn't cheap in my city and its a REAL pain to drain because my yard is higher than both my neighbors, so, when i do something like this the guy to the left of me cant cut his grass until for a short while.

I guess what i'm asking for is confirmation before doing so...draining the water to lower the CYA so that i don't have to keep the chlorine so darn high. I know i need to lower the PH but i didn't wanna mess with that too much if i'm gonna have to drain it in the first place..plus, flocking is usual higher easier with a slightly higher PH rite?

Again, any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED

You have a potentially bigger CYA problem than you realize. The tester only goes to 100, but your water may be much higher. To determine you need to mix equal parts tap water and pool water, then use this mixture to perform the CYA test again but doubling your results. Let us know how this turns out please.

Your Ph will be unreliable with a high FC level. You can always do several small drains. It'll take longer but would help you manage the cya. We normally don't recommend flock or other magic potions. Stick w plain ole beach or liquid chlorine and MAINTAIN your fc according to your cya until I Ouse killed your algae. Since your gone so much have you considered switching over to SWG? That would help having to manually add chlorine.

I have...but I have seen what the smallest amount of salt does to aluminum. If I ever catch even the slightest leak in the lining...it would eat the pool up from the inside out..and I would never see it.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

Do you have a yard meter so that you are not paying sewage along with the water? If you are filling your pool from the house plumbing and you are charged a sewage charge based on your water meter usage then you will pay double at least for your water. If you don't have a yard meter, do you live close enough to a fire hydrant to run from there into your pool? Most city water departments will let you borrow (with a deposit of course) a flow meter that connects to a fire hydrant and they will only charge you for the water you use, without the sewage charge.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, lowering your CYA to at least 40 or 50 ppm is a great stating point.

No, and getting a yard meter installed will probably cost you around $400. I would still check with the water dept. to see if they will let you use a fire hydrant and hydrant meter. I've done this before to fill a 42,000 gallon pool and had it done in a few hours. You pay a deposit on the meter when you pick it up, then when you return it they will charge you for the water you used and refund the rest of your deposit to you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.