Total newbie trying to find what's best in north texas

Jul 13, 2016
Frisco tx
Hi guys!! So I've been lurking on this site for a few days trying to soak up as much information as possible. I am in north Texas (Frisco to be exact)

I am leaning towards a fiberglass pool, but most I see in the area are gunit (did I spell that right?). I'm just wondering if there are any downsides to fiberglass aside from the lack of customization??

I do have consultations scheduled with riverbend and hauk for a gunit pool, and aquamarine pools already gave me pricing on the fiberglass. Just curious to hear your thoughts.

Also, thanks for letting me be a part of this pool community. It's already been so helpful!

Welcome to TFP :)

the #1 problem with fiberglass pools is the install, if it is not done correctly it can be a nightmare that never ends... they can be great pools but when the install goes south it's a bad life..

We're not far from you, up in Prosper! We talked to about 15 companies when we decided to build, and none of them even offered fiberglass...Gunite seems to be what everyone around here builds. Good Luck to you!

Yeah, this is how I feel. Everything I see around here is gunit, but according to the Internet it seems like fiberglass would be better so it just makes me wonder why more people don't go that route.

The point about the instal makes sense. But I feel like if we can find a reputable installer then maybe that's the way to go. Still unsure but have two consults tomorrow and one next week so we'll be getting some ideas nailed down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you find a reputable installer, someone who is familiar with your soil conditions and has a proven track record, a fiberglass install should go fine for you. We like ours very much. We chose FB as opposed to plaster because of cost/value for our money and the shifting clay soil in our area which tends to be unstable between heavy rains and drought. As long as the installer prepares the proper base according to your pool manufacture's instructions and backfills it properly, it should be fine. Caring for the shell is quite easy, and of course following TFP chemistry is still a must. Good luck.

Natalieewall, did you end up going with Fiberglass or Gunite (or nothing at all hahaha)? Just curious, we are researching Fiberglass in the East Houston area and have read a lot of articles touting the advantages of Fiberglass over Gunite...Fiberglass owners seem to have nothing but great things to say (if it is installed correctly that is!)! Just curious what ya'll decided to go with.
Thanks in advance!