Cartridge cleaning questions

Jul 5, 2016
El Dorado County, CA
I am going to be more vigilant in cleaning the pool cartridges. Honest, I really am. At least that is the plan.

I'm getting a big trash can that will hold all four of my cartridges so I can soak them in TSP. Already got the latter. I'm going to get another pressure hose nozzle if I can't find the one I already have. (For $3, it doesn't hurt to have two.) my questions for experienced cleaners of cartridges:

Where do you dump out the wash water containing TSP? Pretty strong stuff and I don't want it near my plants...

How do you know when all the cleaning solution is out of the cartridge material? I don't want it washing I to my pool water.

What do you think of the Blaster 2000 gizmo that purports to clean cartridges? It's pricey but I love things that do things for me. Not sure if it's worth the $$$ though.

What is TSP? And will it work on robot cartridge filters?

Tri Sodium Phosphate. It's a mild detergent that has generally fallen out of favor since the phosphate gets into lakes, rivers, and oceans and causes eutrophication. In the small does you would use to clean your cartridges there is negligible health risk, since this product is a food additive in Europe and "generally recognized as safe" in the USA.

I like this doodad, Filter Flosser | Filter Flosser Cartridge Cleaning Tool

I dump mine right into the grass/weeds, it doesn't kill either one.

I've never had any issue with the filters not being rinsed enough. I think by the time the junk is washed off the TSP is long gone.

Good luck on your mission, mine is to brush more.

Does the flosser have much water pressure since the water gets spread between multiple openings?

OK, so yesterday I bought two 32 gallon plastic garbage tubs (on wheels). I disassembled R2D2, the cartridge container, today. The carts were once again filthy, but not as bad as last time. I brushed off as much as the dirt and debris as I could, put them into the garbage cans with detergent, and am going to let them "cook"/soak on the patio for a good long while. Tomorrow morning I'll use my brand new pressure nozzle and hose them down. Fingers crossed that this will help! Oh, and I also ordered a blast master (?) max pool vacuum. Should be here middle of next week. I am determined to whip my pool into shape.

Sorry for the sideways photo. Tried to delete it and re-upload but did not see how to do that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 70
I've tried using my electrical power washer (yeah, it doesn't have crazy PSIs) to clean my cartridges and I LOVE results. I was impressed how much gunk I was able to wash out from between filter pleats. I have Aquacomb Amazon.com : Mi-Way Aquacomb Pool Filter Cartridge Spray Cleaner Tool : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden and used it with great results when my filters where newer. This is 3rd season for my filters, and they needed what I call "a deep cleaning" and power wash was a right tool for it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.