Adding Salt to non-SWG pool

seedlings

Jul 5, 2016
Saint Joseph, MO
I read the brief paragraph about Salt in Pool School, and I like the idea, but not sure why, so I have a few further questions:
> When/why would I want/need to add some salt to an otherwise fine pool?
> How much salt?
> Would adding ^ that much salt change any other pool chemical numbers for non-SWG pool?
> Will the salt level stay there, kind of like CYA, until water is replaced?

THanks!

CHAD

Salt is added for improved water feel. It is better on skin and eyes because we are salty. 2000 ppm is the recommended starting place. Saltwater pools have 3500 ppm, tears are 9000 ppm and the ocean is 35,000 ppm. No change to any other chemistry. Yes, salt does not evaporate and hangs out in the pool same as CYA and CH.

Salt is added to a SWG pool to improve the "feel" of the water. Kind of like softened tap water feels better to shower in than unsoftened water.

I would start with adding 1500 ppm or so to see if you notice the difference. If you've been using bleach already, you likely have some salt in the pool. You should get test strips for salt at a minimum to check the level. One of the few tests that strips are acceptable. Not as good as drop test, but acceptable.

The salt will stay in the water unless you drain, just like CYA. It will not change any other recommended levels or alter your FC demand, unless the salt was contaminated with organics some how.

No, I don't. Our pool overflow goes into the yard and hasn't killed grass/weeds there at all in 4 years. No trouble around the equipment pad with draining the cartridge filters, cleaning leaf basket, etc.

A water softener has a tank with small rubber beads that collect the calcium from the water as it passes through the tank. A salt brine is flushed through the tank to wash out the collect calcium during a weekly/metered regen. The water from the regen is extremely salty - probably higher ppm than the ocean. That will kill almost anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Salt is added to a SWG pool to improve the "feel" of the water. Kind of like softened tap water feels better to shower in than unsoftened water.

I would start with adding 1500 ppm or so to see if you notice the difference. If you've been using bleach already, you likely have some salt in the pool. You should get test strips for salt at a minimum to check the level. One of the few tests that strips are acceptable. Not as good as drop test, but acceptable.

The salt will stay in the water unless you drain, just like CYA. It will not change any other recommended levels or alter your FC demand, unless the salt was contaminated with organics some how.

Is 1500 about the minimum to notice benefits, would you say? That's like four 40 pound bags. Also, what are the exact product names that are OK to add, like from Lowe's or Wal-mart.

These are OK?
Shop Diamond Crystal 40-lbs Salt Solar Crystals at Lowes.com

CHAD

Yes, that is fine. I think pool salt is a little cheaper at Lowe's. Any 99.5 or more pure salt is ok. Yes, 1500 to 2000 is the recommended starting point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.