Broken Lateral Stuck in Hub

Jul 14, 2016
Kershaw, SC
[FONT=&quot]We were experiencing issues with cloudy water, even with all chemicals balanced. It was advised that we change sand. We carefully scooped, then used a shop vac to remove old sand. When doing so, we either broke or found a previously broken lateral. The filter is a Hayward S210S, with threaded screw-in laterals, not the pivot ball. The threaded part is in the center hub/assembly and we will have to get that out so we can screw in a new one. We were going to call a professional for help but we are getting service call wait times of 4 days minimum up to several weeks depending on the provider. My water has quickly gone downhill, looks more like a pond now. I can find replacement laterals that I think I can install, if I can just get to that point. Any tips on how to remove the threaded part of the old lateral?[/FONT]

Patience and creativity! In some cases, two pieces of plastic can form a bond like welded metal almost and really be a pain to separate. I recall another member earlier this year who really struggled with his. Vices, pipe wrenches/straps, even a Dremel tool. He finally got it but it was quite an effort. Just get comfortable and take your time in hopes that whatever pressure you apply to try and twist/turn that lateral it doesn't split or crack the main stand pipe. That would stink. :brickwall:

Thanks! Yes, definitely trying to avoid damaging other pieces. Your response makes perfect sense, even in what I am finding from the other laterals. Since they are screw-in and "easy" to replace, I thought about just replacing them all at this point. However, the seemingly in tact laterals, will not twist out at all. I am concerned that the plastic has become so brittle and am convinced they will break before they come out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.