Rain and Alkalinity

VinDeeLoo

Bronze Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
Tonkawa/Oklahoma
Every post I have read says that rain lowers alkalinity. I am fighting high alkalinity - I had got it down to 275 from 313). We got a hard rain last night (after putting in pH Decreaser). This morning when I did my testing I was very surprised to see my TA up to 320. I added another pound of pH Decreaser. Within 15 minutes of adding it, we got another big thunderstorm. What could be making my TA go up so much?

How often can I add the chemicals to continue lowering - knowing that the pH needs to be up to 7.5 to add more?

These are this mornings readings from my Taylor K-2006 test kit.
FC 7.5
TC 7.5
CC 0
pH 7.6
TA 320
CH 275
CYA 0

Rain water typically has low pH and very little TA. But that is atmospheric sampling. Once rain hits the ground or stone work, it's pH and TA will change as it absorbs alkaline materials (like calcium).

That said, rainwater has little to no effect on pool chemistry unless you are draining off inches of pool water per day. If you know your pool surface area you can calculate how much water 1" of rain is. In my pool, it's just shy of 300 gallons which is about 1.8% of the total volume. Adding an inch or two of rainwater will have no measurable impact on my water chemistry.

High TA comes from chemicals like baking soda or washing soda (soda ash) additions or high TA fill water. That's it. Rain is not a factor.

Strong rains can cause pH to rise from aeration of the surface water but that is related to the high TA of the existing pool water and not because any additional TA is added.

Reduce pH any time it rises above 7.8. Using muriatic acid rather than pH reducer (powdered) is better for your pool over the long term and less expensive. You can certainly use up what you have, but go for muriatic acid if you run out of powdered pH decreaser.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just found out our little hardware store carries muriatic acid. Rain has put h2o level to the top of skimmer. Lowering h2o and will start up again. Aerating pool why I lower level. Really need to talk hubbie into a light/fountain to help with aerating - since I will be doing this for a while.

I would like to do that, but we only have 1 return right now. Next year I plan on modifying the pool for a swg pump system.

another option is to get a submersible pump and use that to drive the fountain/aeration rig. I have the one below. It has a 1 1/4 male thread, so I took a female PVC threaded end, mated it to some 1 1/4 pvc and T'd it off at the top, drilled holes in it, and let it run.

Superior Pump 1/4 HP Submersible Thermoplastic Utility Pump-91250 - The Home Depot

Here is a link to the thread I started when trying to figure out how best to aerate, so you an see my pump in action.

building the most efficient aerator

Just found out our little hardware store carries muriatic acid. Rain has put h2o level to the top of skimmer. Lowering h2o and will start up again. Aerating pool why I lower level. Really need to talk hubbie into a light/fountain to help with aerating - since I will be doing this for a while.

I got an amazing hydro powered fountain for cheap at wally world ... it needs a valve to control the fountain as it does go clear across my 22 ft round pool so I need to dial it back a bit...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Mult-Color-LED-Pool-Sprayer/47715419

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.