Solar plumbing ups and downs

Apr 30, 2009
Hi,

Just to add to this one on the ups and downs to avoid. Can I do as in the picture? The way I have to run the pipes is that the are at the top of the pitch of my garage roof but the feed pipe would have to then run down the slope of the roof to feed the panels at the bottom. The top return would not be a problem as it would always be at the highest point. Just want to know if I can do it this way with out to many issues or if there is something else I should do. I know they won't drain this way but I am not sure how big of a deal that is as where I am I would have to winterize my pool anyways so freezing in the panels isn't an issue as they would be manually drained at the end of the season

Thanks

Attachments

• solar.JPG
    solar.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 312
Re: Solar Panel Parallel install multi patches

Now you complicate it with the winterization issue. :)

I would recommend you run all the pipes along ground level and only run the lines up to the roof for the panels on each building. You will need to add some kind of bleed at the top of the system to allow air to enter and the water to drain down the pipes back to the pool.

As well you may want a drain valve at the lowest point of each building to ensure you can drain that section completely for winter. Remember to slope your pipes to have a slope towards the pool.

The older FAFCO solar panels had a bleed valve that you installed at the highest point. When the pressure dropped in the system the system would drain back to the pool everytime.

Unfortuanlty in my case I can't run them at ground level. The picture is actually the front of the house and was planning to run them across the top of the porch roof which is at the same height as the garage roof. I cant go ground level as that would involve taking up a lot of cement as well as going under the garage which isn't an option. I also have to keep it somewhat pretty since its at the front of the house and don't want to hear about my project for the next 10 years...

When I said ground level, I meant along the wall of the house down low, not literally buried in the ground.

How are you planning on supporting the pipes if they go from the ridge of one roof to the ridge of the other as shown in the picture? You cannot just let them hang 10 feet across in open air. With water they will eventually collapse.

What about running them under the eaves? You can run up the side of one building and run along the eaves too.

Another thought, do you have enough yard space to install the panels on the ground on solar racks instead?

Based on your rooflines,building locations and layouts, this is getting pretty darn complicated trying to use all these roofs.

Can you take pictures of the actual layout? It would make visualizing this a lot easier.

Sorry my drawing isn't very descriptive... Actually the garage is set out from the house so I do have to go up to get to the roof of it. The pipes going across the house would be sitting on the flashing between the varanda roof and the house. If you can picture its a 2 story house and has a porch at the front that has a roof over it that is about a story up. So I will be running the pipes along that roof which is the same height as the peak of the garage roof. Thus I have to then go down a few feet to connect to the bottom of the panels. Not sure if that makese any sense or not!

One thing to note as well I kind of hijacked this thread a bit I should have created a new one. I am not the same person who created the thread.. I am not going to be jumping on 3 different roofs. All my panels will just be on that one side of the garage roof. If I should have created a new one I appologize.

Thanks

Jeff

OIC. Makes more sense now. No wonder I was starting to scratch my head in confusion.

I just assumed your drawing skills were like mine and did not really notice the totally different layout. :)

You really don't want to go up to the porch roof and then back down to the low part of the garage roof and then back up. Water will sit in the low point and you will never be able to get it out, instant freeze damage.

Could you run under the porch roof, along the porch celling?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have thought about going under it and it might be possible. Just have to pull all the soffit off underneat the porch roof but I would still have to drill through the brick into my garage and then the same to get back out which I really don't want to do that much. If I were to put a T in where it goes into the panels and put a plug or valve there so I can drain it from there for freezing would that be good enough or should the system be able to drain anytime? Thanks for all the responses.

Thanks. If I have to it that way should I not then put a small hole in the 3 way valve to let the system drain or should I still do that regardless of my supply side setup? How important is that?

thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.