SWG and high bather load, and SWG math

tdp

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 16, 2015
Suburban Philadelphia
Hi all, I have a Hayward T-9 SWG for a ~16K gal. pool. I know that SWG's only put out a small amt. of chlorine at a time. How do you other SWG owners handle a high bather load? Do you use bleach to get a quick FC spike before the pool party or right after, or do you just turn up your SWG? Also, I have the spreadsheet from TFP called SWG_Settings.xlsx that gives me the output of ounces by weight of chlorine gas produced; how do you translate that to FC?

FC 4
CC 0
CYA 80
pH 7.5 (although that pH test is awfully hard to read, for me at least)
TA 70
CH 220

Thanks!!

Hold the PH test in full light in front of a light background. White paper plate, concrete deck, light sky, etc.

Yes, we always bump FC up before a big swim day and after. My CYA is 80 and I keep FC about 8 ppm, a jug of 8.25% bleach adds 4 ppm of FC in our pool so I add a jug before. If FC isn't still at 10ish after then I'll add another after. Remember it is safe to swim with FC up to shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Per its specs, your chlorinator puts out 0.7 lbs of chlorine per 24 hours. Your weight of pool water is gallons times 8.35 (rounded, ignoring TDS and temperature).

PPM is 'Pounds of chlorine' divided by 'pounds of water' times 1,000,000.

The FC we test and talk about is expressed as units of chlorine gas (Cl2)

Per its specs, your chlorinator puts out 0.7 lbs of chlorine per 24 hours. Your weight of pool water is gallons times 8.35 (rounded, ignoring TDS and temperature).

PPM is 'Pounds of chlorine' divided by 'pounds of water' times 1,000,000.

The FC we test and talk about is expressed as units of chlorine gas (Cl2)

What is TDS?

So that means for a 17K pool, I could expect my SWG to put out ~4.9 PPM FC per 24 hrs. if turned up to 100%? That's really useful information--thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TDS is total dissolved solids, mostly salts, which increase the density of water. Conversely, warmer water is less dense than colder water when above 4 degrees C. These aspects are not relevant to pool management, but saying 8.35 lbs per gallon is simplified, so I noted the simplification.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.