Muriatic acid vs alternatives?

jmlorfam

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 22, 2008
Hanover, PA
My pool builder was out yesterday installing a conversion kit for my filter system. During his visit my wife filled him in on our use of the BBB method. He was not opposed to it (BBB) but relayed a caution/warning about using muriatic acid. He stated that muriatic acid in vinyl pools can cause two specific problems 1) damage to the liner and 2) costly damage to the heater. This post in not intended to malign my pool builder I'm sure his caution was given with the best of intentions. I was wondering if there is any validity to his statement and if so what alternative would be available. :-D

if you dribble it on, or let it puddle on, the liner then that could be a problem. Not going to damage the heater unless you pour it in the skimmer, I think.

If you pour it slowly in front of a return jet, the circulation will disperse it pretty well. When the sun is out, I can see the acid as I'm pouring it in, it makes distinctive swirly shadows on the bottom; I wait for that to go away then do the next ounce or two.

You could brush afterwards just to be belt-and-suspenders about it.
--paulr

Muratic Acid, poured slowly in front of the return, keeping the pump running is perfectly safe. You do of course want to calculate your dosages carefully so as not result in very low PH which is what the resulting problems stem from, low PH. The same thing could happen from longterm use of trichlor tablets which also lower PH. Never pour Muratic Acid into the skimmer. Remember to take precautions when using the chemical, like not breathing the fumes, protective glasses/clothing. etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.