Borates and Ultra Spa?

Jul 29, 2013
So I added borates to my pool. Went through the whole add borax, muriatic acid process. Cost about $130 initially and then this year maybe another $40-$50.

So now that I'm getting a Hot Tub, i'm thinking maybe I should add Borax to it as well.

Is anyone familiar with the product 'Boss Ultra Spa' ? It apparently says add 1/2 capfull to 500 gallons. The bottle is probably $15 or less.

Is this advised?

I know I was told by dealer if i use muriatic acid my warranty is void.

For my two cents, there is no reason to treat your spa any differently than your pool. Because water volumes are smaller, less of everything is needed and changes in chemistry levels must be monitored a bit more frequently.

I had no difficulty in adding borates to my spa. Use Pool Math and add borax slowly. That way you can use smaller amounts of acid to control Ph. Acid, IMHO, is only an issue in a spa when you add it in larger volumes. Add borax and acid in small quantities until you get the borates where you want them. Or....as I did...simply get boric acid to add borates so you don't need acid at all! Duda Diesel sells 8 oz for $6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only loser from following the simple trouble free pool and spa recommendations are the dealers and pool supply companies who sell far fewer chemicals. The winner is you and your family who will enjoy a clean, sanitary, trouble free spa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there more benefit to using Borates in a spa, as compared to a pool, given the aeration from the jets?

Good point... Perhaps it would be more benefit on Stabilizing Ph?

Yes. Borates are very good to use in a spa to control pH rise. TFP recommends lowering a spa's TA to 50ppm (to reduce carbonate levels) and to add 50ppm borates. The primary source of pH rise is most recreational water volumes is aeration and the outgassing of dissolved CO2. Reducing TA limits the concentration of dissolved bicarbonates and adding borates increases the buffer capacity against pH rise as the pKa of boric acid/borates is ~ 9.0 (it depends on TDS level). Outgassing of CO2 is more pronounced in a spa or hot tub because the aeration is a lot stronger and the water is hotter - both factors lead to rapidly rising pH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.