should I kick myself? didn't run enough power to the pool?

May 17, 2009
Jasper, TN
I wish I would have read more before I ran electrical to the pump.

I ran 12/2 wire about 30' from the main breaker box off a new 20a GFI breaker, to a pole with a single 110 outlet. There is a 12v converter (that was previously installed on this pole... the pool and equipment is used) that ran a single light inside the pool (which I have not hooked up yet and could take it or leave it having a light inside the pool).

I have since found out that my pump pulls 16a when hooked to 110 or 8a when hooked to 220. Of course it's hooked up to 110.

Would it have used LESS power if I hooked it to 220?

I have outside outlets on the outside of the house that are in the deck area so that's why I didn't worry about having more than one outlet at the junction box for the pump.

I'm just wondering before the grass grows back should I redo it to 220. Is there a cost savings?

I bought an Intermatic raintight outdoor timer but it's 110 and 15amps. So I can't use it I guess if the pump draws 16a currently?

I love to waste money... makes my day. :hammer:

It won't use less power if you wire it 220 but will definitly draw less current. You can wire it 220 with the wire you already buried you would just have to change your hook ups at each end. you would need to wire the pump for 220 and also change your breaker to a doublepole gfi. You would just take the white wire and wrap it in black electrical tape so that anyone working on the panel will know that it isn't neutral and is infact hot. Do the same on the side that connects to the pump. Only reason you would want to run new wire (correct me if I am wrong) would be if you need 110 out there as well. Then you would want to run 12/3 to some sort of subpanel and then branch of to the circuits you need. If you are goign to to that extreme then I would probably just bury at least a 10/3 so you can atleast get a 30amps at 220 out there so you arn't restricted in the future.

Also you would need a new timer as well that is designed for 220 and breaks both legs of the circuit.

There is very little point in changing it now that you already ran the wire and bought the timer. The savings of converting to 220 might be a couple of percent, not very significant.

The total amount of power is very nearly the same either way. The amps change dramatically, but the watts stay the same and it is watts that you are paying for.

JasonLion said:
There is very little point in changing it now that you already ran the wire and bought the timer. The savings of converting to 220 might be a couple of percent, not very significant.

The total amount of power is very nearly the same either way. The amps change dramatically, but the watts stay the same and it is watts that you are paying for.

Ok, very good.... <whew>... that's good to know :)

Thanks... to everyone that replied.

Oh... but do you think it would be ok to run it off a 15a timer?

Now if you really like to spend money, and help out your powering problems....think about getting a two speed pump. I have the same size pool you have, and my 1hp two-speeder draws 3 amps on low speed (which is what it stays on the majority of the time), and 10.5 amps on high speed. :goodjob: I have a Pentair Optiflo, and it cost me around $230, IIRC.

JasonLion said:

100% correct. This is why power companies use fairly small transmission lines for line voltage. They are not much concerned with the current and voltage drops are taken care of with more transformers in parallel....although that is starting to change.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.