New Guy with new Pool

TechnoGeek

Jul 13, 2016
Terre Haute, Indiana
Hi, just found this while searching for help and really liked it so i registered.
I just completed my First Pool setup. A Oval 18x33x52. The Ground is level within 1/4 inch anywhere thanks to a borrowed transit. The elevation required me to dig down about 25 inches on one end to get it level on the low end. The straight section buttresses setup was well lets just say very involved.
After getting it All setup and Filled I noticed one buttress was leaning out and the foot was lifting :confused:. Called the Mfr they suggested I empty the $600 of water. From sandy soft soil and generous liquid sunshine the buttress support blocks required a bit more support so it sank down about 1.5 inches.
The fix was to dig two holes beside the buttress/support blocks re-level and fill with 5000 psi concrete. I added 1 yard more of sand by buckets tossing over the wall (total 2 1/2 inches now) and reinstalled the Liner. Matched the skimmer hole best I could and used the 'Big Vinyl Patch kit' for the difference.

I feel I could give some good info to anyone doing an oval pool now that I have experienced this event. I know a support person at the Mfr now reasonably well. James and I have worked thru a lot of concerns, worries, encouragement, etc...

I am still digesting all this chemical level stuff, I do Computer Servers and Networking and it is way easier that pool chemicals :cool:
Glad to be here now.

IMG_0494[1].jpg
My new Pool 2 days after filling it with water.
Rained pretty hard and had to drain off about 3 inches.
The Rain raised the water about a half inch over skimmer. The hole at the skimmer top was like a mini fountain.
I drained it to about mid way on the skimmer which I assumed was the right level.

- - - Updated - - -

Any suggestions what to do about a small deck?
The ladder is a definite issue for me.
I'm open to any ideas....

Nice job on the pool it looms great. Above ground pools can really benefit from having deck access. I have yet to here from anyone who wishes they had a smaller deck for their pool. The sky is the limit for options from some pre built kits to full custom hand built masterpiece. There are specific safety rules regarding access decks for pools so check with your local building department before getting to carried away. The straight edge on an oval pool is a perfect place to start for an easy rectangular deck. Wrapping the deck around the curved ends makes for a harder build but can look really elegant. If I can ever get my deck completed I will post some pics of it.

I'd put the deck on the back side by the shed. With steps coming down the right side of the pool. Anything is possible. Decks make it easier to access and sweep the pool too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.