My readings after ?" of rain and backwashing.

triplets&quads

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2008
North Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
After about 6" of rain and 2 backwashings, my numbers today are:
FC 3
CC 0
TC 3
Ph 7.8
TA 70
CYA 50
Salt 3000

I know I need to lower the ph and raise the CYA, but should I also raise the TA? The Pool Calculator says 60-80 is ok, but my SWG recommends 80-120.

I just realized this is my 1st anniversary of being a member of this great website! :party: and my pool has been beautiful and trouble free the entire time! :bowdown:

Thank you Trouble Free Pool! :goodjob:

Nancy

Happy Anniversary! :goodjob:

Is the SWG still under warranty? If so, I'd bump the TA to the minimum of 80 they recommend.

IF not, don't worry about it for now. If your PH goes up more, you'll need to lower it with MA, which will just lower the TA. So wait and see what the PH does....you may end up adjusting the TA afterall. :wink:

frustratedpoolmom, I see you have a heater on your AG pool. How's that working for you? I would love to have one on mine, but my husband thinks that is rediculous for an AG pool because there is nothing to hold the heat in around the sides. :blah: I think I could get more use out of my pool if the water was warmer. :-D

My SWG is still under warranty, so I will raise the TA to the manufacturer's recommended level. :goodjob:

I wouldn't have a pool without a heater. :mrgreen: I like my water at a minimum of 85 degrees :oops: . I have no insulation, but I do use a solar cover religiously and that really helps to retain the heat. The heater isn't used much in July, early aug. Once the kids were in school all day, we started turning it off after Labor Day, very rare september swimming, and it didn't make financial sense to keep heating it on the off chance one weekend might be warm enough. The first summer with the pool we kept it open and heated into October. We were swimming October 2, since the air temp reached 85. 3 weeks later we got a $400 gas bill. That was the last time we did that! :hammer:

I opened mid April. A week later they were forecasting mid 80s for the weekend, so on that Thursday pm I turned on the heater, and the temps went from upper 50s to low 80s. Of course the weathermen were wrong and the weather didn't cooperate, cloudy and low 70s temps, I wasted all that gas for nothing as no one wanted to swim. I was afraid to see the gas bill - not too bad it was only $80. I expected much worse!

Anyways, I love my heater.... I know folk round here who use theirs with no solar cover. Can't imagine what their gas bills are....

You definitely extend your swimming season with a heater. My BIL used to have a pool with no heater, and they were always swimming at his sister's house because her pool was heated. :p

Maybe you could talk him into a solar unit? :wink:

I did a little research on the solar units. Our pool is in the wide open all day sun :sun: so that seems the logical way for us go, let the sun heat the water for free, but I'm not completely sold on that idea and my husband wasn't keen on mounting solar panels in the yard :rant: . We don't have a solar blanket, and I don't know if I could handle one. I did read where people would cut their solar blanket in sections to make them easier to take off and put on, but then I would have to have a place to store it :scratch: .

I like my water warm too (85+). When I was younger I didn't mind cold water, but I am too old for that stuff now :shaking:

I did mention wrapping the pool with some kind of insulation and my husband thought that was crazy too. :hammer:

Oh well. This will be our 14th swim season, so I guess we will continue on as before. :whoot:

triplets&quads said:
I did read where people would cut their solar blanket in sections to make them easier to take off and put on, but then I would have to have a place to store it :scratch: .
Somebody said they got a big ol' trash can, rolled up the cover and stuffed it in there. Nice and tidy.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.