How do I politely tell pool service that that phosphates are just food?

Vince-1961

Jul 1, 2014
St. Simons Island, GA
I have to go to pool store to buy my "liquid chlorine" (as they love to call it, a/k/a 10.5% bleach) as it's the best deal in town money-wise. He keeps trying to get me to bring in a water sample to test for phosphates "because they consume chlorine which is probably why you are using so much of it." I keep telling him "I'm not worried about phosphates. They're just food for algae.", whereupon he keeps repeating himself. How may I politely get him to be quiet and realize that phosphates are just food for algae and that they do not cause my FC level to decrease? What polite arguments may I use? (I'm about to lose my patience with him and tell him to be quiet, but that would be rude.)

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, I suppose it's possible I may have a "rare and usual circumstance" in which phosphate removal may be prudent. Got a link handy to tell me what those circumstances are? (Mostly, I am running out of responses to keep the conversation friendly and not antagonistic.)

They are essentially using a script, so turn it around and do the same to them. Try, "Thanks for the advice. But I have my own plan for treating my pool. I have a professional grade test kit and I test my own water. I only add common chemicals such as bleach, acid and borax. Thanks for supporting me as a customer by providing bleach at a decent price and for respecting my choice of how I care for my pool". Use this or write your own script. Print it on an index card. Smile and read it word for word each end every time they approach you. After several visits, they will stop asking.

Hand him a TFP business card and tell him your quite capable of managing and testing your pool water yourself. Then inform him that you buy bleach from him because it's a good deal. However, if he keeps pestering you about phosphates, then you'll go find another location to purchase your chemicals from.

Believe me, if he thinks he'll lose your business, then he'll shut up quick.

Another funny argument you can use is to tell him that you will lock him in a room full of every kind of food imaginable, like a giant Vegas style buffet. You will then fill the room with poisonous chlorine gas. Then ask him how important he thinks the food in the room will be to him?

This might sound argumentative, but if you can find a way to joke about it, tell him phosphate management is for sissies who don't know how to manage their pools and that you carry the big gun: called chlorine-at-7.5%-of-cya ;)

Because YOU like killing bacteria TOO! Hi ho!

Then he might realize he's not hanging with the cool kids ;)
(And that is the truest possible analogy of the entire phosphate industry shenanigans, btw.)

Here's a possibility that might help him save face or drop it. Ask him...

"Can you teach me about the chemical reactions that enable phosphate to consume chlorine? No? Well, could you get an explanation from the chemical company that taught you about it? I'd like to read more about it because I really like to understand everything that's going on in my pool. After I read that, I'll reconsider whether or not to buy some."

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I like Jets approach... Tell him you'd like to see a chemical breakdown of everything they suggest happens to a pool and have him give a dissertation about the training he has received to give such professional advice..

Vince- you have way more patience than I do.. If I have to go to the store, I try to keep conversation to a minimum and go in knowing what I need and go straight there..

I always say I have some left over from last year so I don't need it. Then I say I need 4 cases of your shock which is 12.5% at 10 bucks per case and I get this reaction :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Not for nothing but polite doesn't seem to be cutting it.

A simple, "No thanks. I'm good," should be sufficient. Of course that doesn't seem to work. So give him one last chance and add, "If you ask me one more time to bring in water, I'm take my business elsewhere. So instead of maintaining your current profit margin, you and and only you will be responsible for it's decrease." Then go to the next town. The 45 extra cents in gas money would be worth it to not be hassled.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.