Poolside music variety

dayhiker

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 6, 2008
Pell City, AL
It seems as though the main thing I have playing around the pool consists of Bob Marley, Toots and the Maytalls, Jack Johnson, and Jimmy Buffett. Surely, there is a bigger world out there of laid back, beach themed music that I could be tapping into. Any suggestions?

My personal favorite site is www.pandora.com. You put in one or more seed artists or songs and it guesses what you like based on the qualities of your seeds. For example, if you put in Bob Marley as a seed, you will also hear songs by Peter Tosh, Steel Pulse and many others. You can add variety to your station to expand what it plays for you. You can have as many 'stations' as you wish.

I'm surprised there aren't more replies to this post..I have sirius satellite but buffet gets old..there used to be a vacation channel that i loved.played all tropical/island/elvis hawaii/beach boys/lime in the coconut/u name it..i also enjoy steel drum/marimba stuff

The thing that nails me is that my zone 2 on the receiver has to go outboard in analog. That shocked me when I couldn't get my cd player to run outdoors. I had to connect the cd to the receiver with fiber for zone 1 indoors and analog cable for outdoors. This keeps sirius that comes with Dish from working. I think I'll get into the same thing with Pandora.

I do like running pandora at work though.

I love Sirius 18, the Spectrum. Margarittaville is pretty good too. The reggae channel plays too much dance hall type and not enough old school reggae for my taste. The stuff they plays sounds like American rap with a reggae beat. Not my style at all.

I'm actully a little miffed about the receiver. I talked with Cruthfield a good bit about what I wanted to do with the receiver and then the one they recommneded, which is a popular model, had the analog issue. Dangit.

dayhiker said:
I'm actully a little miffed about the receiver. I talked with Cruthfield a good bit about what I wanted to do with the receiver and then the one they recommneded, which is a popular model, had the analog issue. Dangit.

Best of luck with your receiver setup - I've got a sweet "whole house audio" system I've been using for about 4 years (www.htd.com/whole-house-audio) now - and it earns it's money come Summer time, poolside - 6 zones/8 sources to dial into... all low voltage wiring - it's a huge hit with the wife and guests... plug your MP3 player into and play it throughout the house or pool...

Most of my music resides on computer, but I have feeds for Sirius, Pandora, CD, FM, Cassette you name it...

My problem is I change my music moods so much - reggae one day, Dylan the next, Country after that, Steel Drums, Buffett, GD,....

"if you get confused just listen to the music play..."

-- Mitchman

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I usually pipe classic dance music since I have so many tapes from my sets when I was a DJ in dance clubs. Trash Disco lives! :party:
If I ever got really motivated for a pool party I might have to break out my 'tables, mixing board, and vinyl!
(In case anyone is interested I started DJing in the 70's and stopped in 2000. I DJed off and on during that period for Dance, Rock and C&W in clubs, always as a second job. I was just getting TOO old to stay up until 5 am and then go to my day job the next morning anymore so I called it quits! :shock: )

mitchman333 said:
dayhiker said:

Best of luck with your receiver setup - I've got a sweet "whole house audio" system I've been using for about 4 years (http://www.htd.com/whole-house-audio) now - and it earns it's money come Summer time, poolside - 6 zones/8 sources to dial into... all low voltage wiring - it's a huge hit with the wife and guests... plug your MP3 player into and play it throughout the house or pool...

Most of my music resides on computer, but I have feeds for Sirius, Pandora, CD, FM, Cassette you name it...

My problem is I change my music moods so much - reggae one day, Dylan the next, Country after that, Steel Drums, Buffett, GD,....

"if you get confused just listen to the music play..."

-- Mitchman

Very cool. I think probably what happened is that I had a certain budget, but I also wanted to be able to play from different sources into both zones which left my with the Onkyo receiver that I bought. I do like that I can have pool music playing outdoors while someone else watches a movie in surround sound in the living room. Come to think of it though, it doesn't actually happen all that often. I may have been better off trying to power different zones that I could turn off and on instead of pushing for different simultaneous sources.

I would suggest FlyCast on an iphone or your computer. The only thing about Flycast is they think Caribbean music is only song in Spanish. They have a Latin Channel with multiple spanish speaking station but nothing under the Caribbean genre with good Soca, Calypso and Steel Pan bands.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.