circulation

Hello, I am new to pool ownership and was wondering if circulation was a big deal. I have a 36 x 18 pool with only 1 skimmer, 4 returns and no bottom drain.

What way should I point the returns so I get maximum efficiency out of them?

MS paint for reference.
poolpaint.jpg

Thanks for any advice.
Mike G.

hhmmm no returns on the other side eh?

I wonder if having the one by the diving board turned left and the right one turned to the right would create
a flow that would converge to the center and down directly to the skimmer.

either that or both to the right or left to get a circle of flow going.

Sometimes you have to wonder what builders were thinking when they installed plumbing..... even in '78 :hammer: I'm no rocket scientist, but I don't see any ideal way to move water towards the skimmer. Not having a main drain is not the issue either, it's all about surface water movement, and the positioning of those jets simply doesn't make sense. Maybe just aim the shallow end out as much as possible, then try moving the jets on each side of the skimmer towards the corner across from it "in hopes" that the water will want to make a loop back inwards towards the skimmer. It's a shot in the dark I know. I hope your prevailing winds blow towards the skimmer. Say, you're in a perfect position to grab a few ping pong balls and toss them on the water. Experiment with the return jet directions and watch the movement of those on the water. Maybe you'll get lucky with a decent set-up.

If I point my returns to the bottom of the pool it actually pushes the water across the bottom of the pool, up the side, and back across the surface. I like the ping pong ball idea though, sounds like fun. Maybe a nurf gun thrown in there and you've got a good party game!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.