Second SLAM

Herwick

Bronze Supporter
Apr 26, 2016
Ardmore, Ok
Now that my filter is up and running we have begun the SLAM process again. My numbers this morning and afternoon:

FC: 8
CC: 1.05
PH: 7.2
TA: 98
CYA: 29

FC: 15
CC: .24
TA: 98
CYA: 29

My journey thus far:
20160707_183904.jpg
The first row is over the course of a month. I took a photo when there was a significant change.
The second row is over a 2 week period.
The third row is last week when we realized our filter was busted.

The beginning picture of each row is the morning after the last picture in the previous row. We were keeping all numbers where they needed to be and suddenly it seemed a fight every minute of the day and then overnight it ended up being basically back to square one. So here's to hoping that with the filter fixed we will not have a repeat of before.

20160713_122503.jpg
Here it is on day 2 of the new SLAM! That was a lot of sand and dead algae. We cant see the bottom of the deep end just yet but we are hopeful it will only be a matter of days.

Now for my question. I was told to throw something that floats into the pool to check the circulation hence the wiffle balls floating around. If it turns out I don't have good circulation is that going to significantly effect the SLAM? Is there anything I can do to improve circulation? We can not preposition the jets so probably good idea to get ones we can. I have heard that you should position them to flow clockwise, counterclockwise, so they break the surface, so they don't. Very lost on that part. Suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

You said "jets", plural. With 2+ jets and 2 skimmers you should be fine. As long as the return is strong enough to at least push the water to the opposite side of the pool.

We have 4 jets 2 at the stairs pointed right at each other and 2 in the deep end.

42ef2ab6e19f42d2de5a19e4476a66a0.jpg

There seems to be 3 dead spots that I am always having to skim leaves from. (The Xs) And the water seems to circulate the way of the arrows. The three balls have been going around in circles there in the shallow end. But they have only been in the pool for 3 hours. There is one hanging out in the far left just out of the picture and one that has been hanging out by the stairs for the last hour.

Yeah, circulation is the last thing you need to worry about :)

Pool is looking good, can see the transition now!

Thanks, I wanted to double check with someone as I was told the balls should eventually end up in the skimmers, them going in a circle for 3 hours was starting to worry us. I didn't want to end up back at the beginning because all the water wasn't being properly circulated and filtered. Its been a long couple months working on this.

Day 3: This morning's numbers:

FC: 13
CC: .04
TA: 76
CYA: 35

I am waiting for a CC 0 before doing the overnight loss test. My question is if CC is 0 and I pass the overnight loss test but the water is still cloudy do I have to keep FC at SLAM levels while the filter is doing its work? It seems that if I keep it in normal range that it should keep everything dead while filtering out, right? I somehow figured it would clear up before CC ended up at 0, doesn't look that way though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
YEs.. the 3 criteria is Clear water, CC <.5 and less than 1 ppm FC loss... Keep at it... you don't want that stuff back in your pool right?
Make sure you check your filter pressure too and backwash to keep it cleanish.

how did you come up with .04 cc?

Target 40 CYA Shock level 16 then... best to err on the side of caution... More FC is better than less FC.

Hows your circulation working out?
Something about your pics is still troubling me...

Overnight only 2 of the balls ended up in the skimmer. The other 3 were still going in circles where they are in the picture. Now obviously I can not tell if they are the exact same balls that stayed there all day and I realized that this morning but still I don't think it bodes well.

I have a round pool with 1 jet so circulation is easy... Mr Bruce said earlier it doesn't matter as long as it gets to the other side of the pool...Mulia says counter clockwise which I agree with more so... You don't have the ability to move the direction of your jets do you?

I cannot find a ColorQ 700 online. That isn't one of the recommended kits as far as I can tell. Digital tests usually need frequent calibration.

If your pool is forming eddies it is circulating fine. I have a feeling it just needs a good dose of POP (and probably another test kit :))

If your pool is forming eddies it is circulating fine.

Seeing eddys raises a flag to me... Im still new in the process and don't get them in my roundy, but If I think if how they are formed in a flowing body of water (rivers and such), the water eventually makes it out of the calm sections but I can see it being a place where introduced chemicals may pool. The water may not turn over in those areas...unless they were right in front of the skimmers...

If you see it differently , please explain ... I would love to learn something new today as my clean and clear pool is now boringly predictable.. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.