Probably a stupid filter question

May 22, 2009
I just went out today to turn the filter on for awhile and it wouldn't start. Well, it started, I could hear all the regular noises but no water was circulating.

Could this be because my water level is low? I'm filling it up now to see if that's it, but I just thought I'd ask anyway.

Well, I am completely new to pools (a couple of weeks) but I do have a few suggestions.

1.) Make sure you have enough water in your pool to fill the intake about half way (where your skimmer basket is).

2.) Make sure there are no shut off valves in the "on" position in your pool house.

TheExecutive said:
Well, I am completely new to pools (a couple of weeks) but I do have a few suggestions.

1.) Make sure you have enough water in your pool to fill the intake about half way (where your skimmer basket is).

2.) Make sure there are no shut off valves in the "on" position in your pool house.

I'm trying #1. My water level was down to about 1/4 the way up the skimmer square opening.

TheExecutive said:

Not everyone has a Pool House. :poke: :mrgreen:

Ok, I still need help. Water level is back up. Backwashed (before I raised the water level) and it was REALLY dirty. BW'd till water was clear, then rinsed.

Things still aren't working. Called the PS and he said to try "recirculate" and things still aren't moving. That didn't work either. He said that means something (can't remember what he said) is seized up in the motor. He told me how to take the end off and try to manually move it but i haven't had a chance yet since it started pouring down rain.

So, any tips or tricks. Would you all suggest the same thing?

Kathy3232 said:
He told me how to take the end off and try to manually move it but i haven't had a chance yet since it started pouring down rain.

So, any tips or tricks. Would you all suggest the same thing?

Just a friendly FYI. Before you "try to manually move it" MAKE SURE the power to the motor is turned OFF.

You have kids? They use small toys in the pool? I would suggest checking to make sure one of the toys had not been sucked into the skimmer pipe. Sounds like you may have a clog either in the pipe or possibly in the pump.

Thanks!

We do have kids, but they are 2 and 4 so they aren't anywhere near the pool without us. I don't think it's a toy, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be clogged with something else.

FWIW: it sounds like the water just start to flow and then bam, it stops.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was going to suggest to manually prime the pump, then I realized this is on an Above Ground pool. :hammer: Is the pump below the waterline like most? Are you using silver or black corrugated plastic flex hose? If you are, make sure it hasn't collapsed anywhere restricting flow. If you take the lid off the pump strainer basket does water start pouring out of it(with any valves open and no plugs in the skimmer or return)?
??
Does the pump make the normal sound or is it a different sound, more of a humm? Don't start tearing apart the pump yet. It could still be something simple.

Any chance you could snap a few pics and post them?

HTH,
Adam

You said that backwashing worked? Was the water flowing as strongly as it usually does? If so, that suggests that the pump is working just fine.

There could be some blockage in the return hose or the return fitting.

Ok, I finally got a chance to work on it.

1) Yes, backwashing worked just fine. Just like normal.

2) I took the back off and tried to spin that flat head screw like thing and it spun both ways just fine. Did not solve problem.

3) I think it's plugged up somewhere. I'm so NOT mechanically inclined, but I am willing to try to find the plug. It should be simple to undo those silver straps with the screw and check the hoses right? I'm going to try to post a picture of our set up.

I REALLY need to get this fixed. It's going on 3 days with no filter running. I added water yesterday AND it rained so I'm going to have a mess soon if I don't get back on it.

IMG_1005.jpg

Ok, any ideas where to start? And do you see what I mean by the silver things. Is that where I need to take off first when checking the hoses?

Yeah, I've had a million posts about that frog. Bleach and Brushing might work. I'm sure it's worth a try. I just didn't know if I should add stuff while the water's not moving.

The frog is all the way open. I asked the PS guy whether the frog could be plugged up and he didn't think so.

Yes, if you pour the bleach slowly and brush real good to stir it up that should help.

Well this is a mystery isn't it. Yes, loosen the clamps on the flex hoses and remove them so they are straight and you can look thru them to see any blockage. Make sure you tighten them back up when you reinstall :mrgreen: :wink:

Ok, an update. I've checked all the hoses and they are clear.

The pump basket was REALLY dirty with leaves etc. so I cleaned that out. But it's still not working.

No water is getting sucked in through the skimmer. When I turn the pump on, it makes all the normal noises, but the water just isn't getting sucked in. Then went I turn it off, a bunch of water comes back up through the skimmer.

What's this whole prime thing? Maybe I need to look into that?

Let's go with the basics: Is your pump on the ground next to the pool? If so, it won't need priming. Take the strainer basket lid loose and water should pour out as soon as it comes loose. If it doesn't you have something blocking the line between the skimmer and the pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.