air leak or overpowered pump?

johnly

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 5, 2016
walker/mi
So I'm at a loss. I feel like I've exhausted all suction side air leak possibilities and nothing is working. I dug up and replaced all plumbing from the skimmer to the pump. All fittings from the skimmer to ground level are currently submerged and all fittings are properly lubed and sealed, and my basket is still churning with air. I ran the hose all over the pump lid, drain plugs, and housing and all the other fittings with no change.

A few weeks ago I had a 3/4h dura-glas that, despite a massive underground leak, had no air in the basket at all. I think it's because the ground was saturated. The new pump is a 1h uprated to 1.5h. Is it possible that it's overpowered?

I should also mention that it's not the skimmer. The skimmer is 3' deep and any air that might be introduced would never make it to the bottom. Besides, I checked anyway.

I feel like any leak that might still exist wouldn't allow that much air into the system. What should be my next move?

Ugh. I've been worrying/messing with this on and off for weeks. Of course the moment I post this, I find the source: a hairline crack in the pump lid. I blobbed some grease on it and the air purged from the basket. I'll have to order another lid unless i can find an epoxy that will hold.

To answer your questions, yes, there was a lot of air in the return. So much that the water looked cloudy. And my filter doesn't have a purge valve, however, I discovered that if I push down on the lever a little, water comes out of the waste port and the gurgling stops.

Thanks for the response! I'll leave this thread up despite my embarrassment in case someone else has a similar problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.