Questions about plaster repair and staining (pics included)

IkeRay

May 20, 2007
Houston, Tx
First and foremost, so I don't get hollered at, test results:

FC - 3.0
CC - 0.0 (<.5 at least), FC was 3 at 9pm and again at 9am
pH - 7.4
CH - 40 (just added 10 lbs this morning)
TA - 180

The top step has missing plaster spots and I am wondering do I drain the pool down lower than the top step or use one of those underwater repair kits?

DSCN5954.jpg

next, the staining. we had black algae last year when we left on vacation for a week and used cal-hypo (?) in the skimmer (it was the one that's made for in a skimmer), apparently bad circulation. I tried the metal brush with high chlorine and it really didn't do much to remove the staining, rubbing trichlor puck yields what you see, it removed the stain quite well but I'm worried I might be causing damage to the surface. don't mind the leaves, the polaris is cleaning the pool currently. the staining can also be seen in the first picture.

DSCN5955.jpg

finally, I asked this question before but never found an answer. how well does the "acid washing" without actually draining work? I was told I could do a 50/50 water/acid and sprinkle with a gardening can down the sides and brush with a metal brush and its just as good as a full acid wash w/o draining, especially since we live in an area with a high water table (is that what its called?).

anyways, here's my pool and my neighbors pool. the kicker, nobody has lived in that house in 1 1/2 years, yet the yard has been mowed and the pool sparkling, both by a service. so who is paying for this and where are they?

mine:
DSCN5958.jpg

neighbors:
DSCN5960.jpg

IkeRay said:
I will be borrowing my father-in-law's power/pressure washer this weekend to clean off some siding and patio, how well would a power washer do at cleaning the pool w/o draining or with draining?

I used my 3000psi and it blasted all of the algae and buildup of gunk on my resurrection project: heres-the-windup-the-pitch-t12229.html#wrapheader. Did nothing for the stains (suspect metal) as if I got to close it would blast the surface of the plaster off - not good. I kept the nozzle on vertical and with a 40 degree tip in and did wonders for the black algae that was growing. Again nothing for the stains. I have some really hard to remove stains as acid washing when drained lightened them but didnt remove them completely.

Bottom line - power washing works good just be careful you dont damage the plaster!

well, power washing didn't do anything. the only time I saw the stains disappear was the one time I got too close and etched a little plaster off (not enough to really tell unless you felt it with your hand). I'll try the super shocking and brushing daily for a week before going extreme and acid washing.

I'm trying to balance TA right now. I've added 2 1/2 gallons in the past 2 days and have a PVC pipe sticking up out of the water connected to a return making a fountain kind of spray, making lots of bubbles. the pH has been going up steadily, but I haven't seen any drop in TA at all.

most current numbers:
FC - 3.0
CC - 0.0 (<.5 at least)
pH - 7.0
CH - 160
TA - 180-190 (note, same as last time, and 2 1/2 gallons added since)
CYA - 30

I'm going to wait another 24 hours and add more calcium, but that TA is really bugging me being so high. should I test my water for metals? I figured since when I shock my pool turns super blue that I'm ok since one of the signs of high metal is green after shocks (right?). I'll get it tested tomorrow for metals at leslies (who uses taylor kits).

I've also been using a floater with tri-chlor helping boost my CYA but it doesn't seem to be helping my FC. I've had to add at least half a gallon of bleach every day to get FC to 3.0, I put the pucks in well over a week ago, it was 2 lbs (4 8oz pucks) and now there is about 1lb if not more left in the floater. its completely "opened" and has been getting good movement. I don't see how the previous owner of this house used a floater all the time...

I have a friend who apparently works at the local Warehouse Pool Supply store, didn't know he worked there. he has been working on pools for the past 7 years and has learned quite a bit. for the stains, he thinks it might be metallic and suggested I use a lemon (whole lemon) and rub the rind against the stain. if it removes then they sell a chemical that is essentially straight Vitamin - C which will re-suspend all the metals and I'll probably have to back wash after 2 days, but the chlorine level has to drop down to 0-1ppm for those 2 days.

has anyone used anything like this before? and how well does it work?

secondly, this same guy is coming over to look at my pool for the plaster and the staining prior to doing this. how much should I "tip" him? he may be potentially saving me $500-$600 for not having to do the acid wash, and he says he'll take a look at all my pool equipment while he's here.

You can determine if it's metal staining before hand. But via the trichlor puck method you already determined the staining is organic, right? According to your posts above, the pucks made the stains go white in some areas.... so therefor it isn't metals.

In any event, read this article:

and

This article.

for more info on what you asked about.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.