Calcium Hardness

VinDeeLoo

Bronze Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
Tonkawa/Oklahoma
How can I lower CH without draining the pool? We just drained and refilled the pool and starting CH was 475. We have extremely hard water.

Here are my levels:
FC 8.5
TC 9
CC 0.5
pH 7.5
TA 275
CH 475
CYA 0

I am adding acid to lower pH and TA and aerating to increase pH. I used what stabilizer/conditioner I had, but need to go get some more. I know we need to get a better pump, we are using the one that came with the pool and pretty much will be running it 24/7. I am a teacher in Oklahoma and will have to wait until next pool season to get the better pump. Wanting to switch to a swg system. We will have to do some modifying since the pool we have only has 1 return and the skimmer/pump combo. I want to add a return that we will be able to hook us a hose to help with cleaning the pool.

The only other way is reverse osmosis which may not be an option in your area. A drain and refill is really the only option and doesn't end up costing all that much.

Your CH is not all that high right now and if you cover the pool, you will greatly limit CH rise from evaporation.

^^ Yes. And while your CH is elevated a bit, there is no intense worry about an elevated CH level in a vinyl pool like in a plaster pool. If it got really high (for an extended time) it could begin to show some effects on the liner, but your pH and TA would also have to be real high as well.

You can keep working on lowering that TA though. By doing that, your "CSI" level will be in a much better place regardless of the elevated CH (see Poolmath calculator). I estimate that once you get your TA down to 120 or below, and continue to keep the pH around 7.5-7.6, together they will counter-balance the high CH and your CSI will be just fine. You can watch your CSI numbers on the Poolmath calculator after entering all of your test results and you'll see what I mean.

The only other way is reverse osmosis which may not be an option in your area. A drain and refill is really the only option and doesn't end up costing all that much.

Your CH is not all that high right now and if you cover the pool, you will greatly limit CH rise from evaporation.

I don't have the option of reverse osmosis. The CH of 475 was with a complete drain and refill over the weekend. Many people in our area have water softeners for the inside of the house, but our house didn't have one when we purchased it this spring.

I will keep on doing what I am doing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.