Central Connecticut
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
Hello. I recently had my patio redone. I now have stamped concrete. I am considering installing the brass anchors and safety cover myself and avoiding the $500+ charge from the pool company to do it. I have seen the videos and read instructions. Most of the videos show the cover somewhat laying on top of the water while sitting over the pool. They then say measure 20" from cover edge out for placement of brass anchor. My question is, doesn't the cover need to be fully flat/stretched and supported over the pool for the measure.? The loop-loc instruction says lay ropes across pool to support the cover. All other videos show the cover just laying on top. I can't imagine the pool companies securing long ropes to support the cover during install? Any ideas, suggestions, comments from anyone who installed their own cover. My cover is a Merlin ... about 4 years old. I have purchased 35 Loop-Loc brass anchors for the install. Appreciate any info.

Thanks
Rich

Covers are manufactured to overhang the edge of the pool by several inches all the way around the pool when tensioned using the anchors and spring straps. If the cover overhangs each side properly, the 20" recommended location for the anchors is based on their being, for example, 5" of cover and 15" of strap/spring between the anchor and pool edge.

I went to install my safety cover last weekend and set up the ropes as described in the loop loc directions. It wasn't that big of a deal, got some cheap clothes line rope from HD and used tent stakes and heavy planters to hold it up. Not sure how much the ropes will help, but I think they may help with lining the holes up.

I didn't drill any holes last weekend as I thought a hammer drill would work with the pavers I had, but after a test drill on a spare paver and cracking the back of it, I stopped and am going to use a core drill. Just had to wait for the local rental center to get the 1" diamond bit in.

I'll do a new post with a lot of pics with my install this weekend.

I did use water, only a hose as the water for the inside of the core drill wasn't working, and it still took 10 hours to drill all the holes. For each hole I had to take the bit off and punch out the stuff inside of it with some rebar so it would keep drilling. On some of the holes after it got a few inches into the ground, it would just stop because it couldn't keep pushing the material up the bit. Much harder than I thought it was going to be, but it didn't damage any pavers and I only got a couple of bruises from when the bit grabbed and the drill spun around.

I think if I had to do it again I may use the core drill just to go through the paver and then switch to a hammer drill to drill the rest of the 14 inch hole. It would involve two rentals, but I think it would be alot quicker. At around $100 each for rental, still not too bad. My cover cost 2K and the only quote I could get from a pool company was 4K installed so for me it was worth it.

Chalk line and a hammer drill...works perfect in concrete.

Laser surveyors transit and a diamond core bit...works just well but costs a whole lot more.

I didn't put my cover on to drill, I just measured its total width and length and marked it on my concrete, 18" out from there on each corner and drill. Attach the cover with its corners and mark all the remaining holes using the first ones. The rest line up perfectly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.