What are my target TA and PH before putting Borax in?

May 28, 2009
Chicago, IL
New to this pool thing...I would like to use the BBB method this year.
Here are my numbers that where done at a pool store because my kit has not arrived yet.

FC 3.9
TC 3.9
TA 191
PH 7.9
CH 309
CYA 13

I ignored all the chemicals that the pool store wanted me to buy and came home and used Jason's pool calculator. I put the recommended chemicals in according to that so the TA and PH should be dropping and CYA rising. Here are my questions: Before putting Borax in the pool am I trying to get my target value TA to 70-80 and PH 7.4-7.6 with the size/type of my pool? Also, do I turn off my chlorinator, I have it on as low as it will go?

Thanks for the incredible insightful information, you guys rock!!!

mreitcheck said:
Here are my questions: Before putting Borax in the pool am I trying to get my target value TA to 70-80 and PH 7.4-7.6 with the size/type of my pool?
Yes, if you mean adding borates to 50 ppm for pH and algae control
Also, do I turn off my chlorinator, I have it on as low as it will go?
no, not untils you totally switch to a different chlorine source such as bleach and your CYA is on target. If you already have your CYA where it needs to be and are testing and adding bleach as needed then turn off the chlorinator. Save it for when you go on vacation (but be sure to leave a little leeway in your CYA level--shoot for about 40 ppm instead of 50 ppm.)
Chlorine has no impact on the addition of borates. You NEED to keep the FC at the recommened level for your CYA at all times!

Thanks for the incredible insightful information, you guys rock!!!

Welcome! :wave:

BBB doesn't mean you HAVE to use all three, it just means you CAN use them if you NEED to.

Your PH and TA are too high, so I'm not sure why you want to add Borax, as that would increase them?

You need to read about Lowering TA in Pool School, and begin that process. If you do turn off the chlorinator, make sure you have the Muratic Acid ready because your PH is going to climb even higher. When the chlorinator is empty, you can turn it off completely.

Have you read Pool School - specifically about recommended levels? Your CYA should be 30-50, and the FC kept at appropriate levels - see the Chart in my sig. :wink:

You're headed in the right direction, smart move not buying the pool store products.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.