Test Results- A few questions

violet-mermaid

Mar 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Hey guys! We've been swimming and enjoying our new pool :D I've been paranoid about the levels, so I've done 4 full tests, lol. However- I'm wondering if it's ok to leave my TA at 150 if my PH has been consistent at 7.8? We do have a fountain that has been running nonstop for 4 days now, but I'm about to set the timer on the pump to only run 6 hours/day.

Also, does high TA contribute to water that is a tad bit cloudy? I can see to the bottom of the pool, but to me the water isn't crystal clear. Other than the TA, my numbers look pretty good from what I have gathered:

FC- 6
CYA- 60
PH- 7.8
TA- 150
Salt- 2500

Should I add another bag of salt today to get up to 3000? In my SWG instructions booklet it says the salt range should be between 2500-3500, but optimal is 3000.

Should I make any other adjustments?

Thank you so much everyone! This site has been such a HUGE help in getting me started with all of this! My goal is to make 0 trips to the pool store!!! LOL

Yes, if your PH stays at 7.8 it is fine to leave TA alone. Add muriatic acid to lower PH to 7.6 when it reaches 8.0. This will slowly lower your TA over time. It is important portent to maintain FC between 7.2 and 7.8 at all times. 7.6 to 7.8 is better.

Agreed that organics is probably what is clouding the pool. It is important to keep FC above minimum for your CYA at all times, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. FC below minimum leaves the pool unsanitary and bacteria, pathogens and algae will grow quickly.

Ok, I am going to do the test tonight. However, my FC has been the same for the last 3 days without the SWG running at all during the night.

According to that chart, my FC is above minimum but my CYA at 60 is not recommended for a SWG. I am going to raise it to 70 and add one more bag of salt.

Thanks!

Yes, the FC went from 4-3 last night. So according to the chart, the Shock Level needs to be 24 since my CYA is 60. Questions on this:

1) Do I run the SWG at all during this SLAM?

2) Do I add all of the chlorine at once to get it up to 24? How long do I keep the level at 24?

3) Can we swim during the SLAM? I saw that the answer was yes, but also no when the FC is at 24. Do we need to wait until it drops?

4) I should bring PH down first, correct? I did buy the muriatic acid...

and I think that's it!

I'm actually glad it's the water that needs to be SLAMed and not my sand filter that is too far away/too weak!

1) Do I run the SWG at all during this SLAM? No, just use liquid chlorine

2) Do I add all of the chlorine at once to get it up to 24? How long do I keep the level at 24? Yes, get it to 24 and keep it there by regular testing and re-adding what it needs to stay there. Keep doing that until you pass the three tests

3) Can we swim during the SLAM? I saw that the answer was yes, but also no when the FC is at 24. Do we need to wait until it drops? Safe to swim up to shock level for the CYA

4) I should bring PH down first, correct? I did buy the muriatic acid... Yes, a SLAM starts with pH of 7.2 Don't bother testign anymore as the pH test is inaccurate with FC above 10

and I think that's it!

I'm actually glad it's the water that needs to be SLAMed and not my sand filter that is too far away/too weak!
Read answers in red

1. No
2. Yes. Until you pass the 3 criteria. Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain (You are done when: )
3. Yes, no. It is fine to swim up to SLAM levels.
4. Yes. Once the FC is above 10 the pH test is invalid so better to adjust it before you get started. Shoot for half steps when adjusting pH, especially in a smaller pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If that's what you have it's fine. In the future you may want to consider the non "Klean" kind as it is stronger/cheaper.

I believe it is 20%. If you use the amount that Pool Math says you should use for 31%, you should undershoot (a good thing!) and then test and add again to get to your target.

Got it!

For reference, here's what the pool water currently looks like. Will post updates as the SLAM progresses.

cloudy.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.