Losing my mind here...

Jul 12, 2016
North Carolina
Hello! So I've scoured these forums incognito for a very long time now ::epds::. I usually find what I'm looking for and that's that... However, this time I'm stumped. A little bit of history: We just put a new liner in the pool, looks great, fire up the pump and after shooting out the cobwebs into the pool via the jets, it finally runs clear and all is well...except for the unusually loud pump. As 2 weeks go by, the pump gets progressively louder, I mean we couldn't even stand near it and yell above its noise. Then one night we hear a loud pop and it abruptly stops running. So I jump online and begin troubleshooting. After 4 snapped bolts (the long skinny ones), an immobile fused bolt that holds the housing around one of the bearings, a fight to the near death to get the other bearing off the exposed shaft and replaced, a new capacitor, and a good rust removal brush down, I still ended up with a dead pump motor :grrrr: !! SOOO I decide to go ahead to a motor repairer of sorts and he quoted me 75% the cost of a new motor yet only wanted to replace the bearing I replaced, heat and remove the infused bolt for the other bearing, and put 4 new bolts... as if I didn't know these parts cost no more than $15 total. Well being the motor was in really bad shape as it was overall and I probably would've brushed right through it trying to remove the rust that ate most of it up already, I decide to buy a new motor! I get it installed and it just hums/buzzes very quietly, sounds like a high voltage wire, but with no impeller or motor movement :shock:. We then had a low voltage problem at the pool house breaker, so fix that and my back yard lights up *yay*, but still no-go with the pump. I get on here and troubleshoot and find everything that may be correct, but seems irrelevant to my situation hence my joining and posting this. My impeller spins, seals are good, power source good, the whole 9. I don't know what else to try or how else to look it up :brickwall: . I'm surprised I've been able to keep my pool maintained enough that I can still see the details on the bottom 8 feet down, but I'm dying over here. Please help!

I thought about that as well, however, the old pump was set on 230v and never any issues, not to mention it was running on that when it died. Correction from my previous post... L1-white L2-black

After changing batteries in multimeter for good measure, I went back out and readings are good on all breakers except on the right (black) side of the top left double bar breaker (reading ~40v); and the main (with red breaker switch) is reading ~0v. So I'm assuming that those two breakers are bad considering the things attached to the other breakers with ~120v work fine. I thought the GFCI switch in the garages breaker box was blown, however, if it was I think nothing would work on the pool house breaker box.

Question: would I be able to switch the wires with the bad double bar breaker to the good breaker right below it?

Breaker Pic:
*Top left-double breaker bar for pump (explained above);
*Both top right-not in use but one on far right is reading ~40v;
*Bottom left-double breaker for booster pump--booster not in use as it hummed them shut off right after main pump went, but I just put a new capacitor on booster just don't know if it worked because motor not running and breaker seems to operate the pool house and outdoor lights although wiring is attached to the booster pump only;
*Middle bottom-pool light breaker ~120v but light is not working but I think that has to do with an old connector on the wire extension which I'm not worried about right now/easy fix.
*Red switch breaker-does not cut power to entire breaker box, but will cut power to the outdoor and pool house lights-however...that doesn't seem right being it reads ~0v by itself and can't truly be checked with the other breakers that really aren't working. As it is, the other breakers are still giving voltage readings in the on position while red switch is in the off position.

pool pump wiring.jpgbreaker box wiring.jpg

The "red" breaker is not the disconnect for the panel. It is an outgoing feed to another device (light, recept, etc) This box has no disconnect in it. If I am reading correctly, you have power to the top left, low voltage to the top 2nd from left, good voltage to the top third from left and low voltage to the top right most. I am going to surmise that the bottom row will follow the same pattern.

See the two fat wires coming into each side of the buss bar? Those are the feeds to this panel. Check each of those to ground and see what the readings are. I am going to suspect one of them will read low (40 volts) If one reads low then go back to the main panel box and check the breaker that feeds those and get the reading from there. Somewhere there is a voltage drop due to a damaged wire or a loose connection.

We can discuss the numerous code violations once you get this sorted out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
These are the voltage readings of the three grounds coming in. I do not know what goes to what as it comes in through a pole cemented to the ground.
breaker box wiring2.jpg

I also have a question about the 'Bathroom & Outside Rec' labeled GFCI pictured below. The test button does not work as in pressing it does nothing and switching it off doesn't seem to do anything either. I have yet to take it off and test the voltage, but thought I'd ask before I dismantle the breaker box.
gfci.jpg

you have some serious issues here. The two lines (black insulated) coming into that box should each have ~120 volts on them and ~240 volts between them. You need to go to the supply source and see what readings you get there. My guess right now is you will need to replace the lines feeding that box

Is the panel in the picture a sub panel branched off the main panel? Nothing to do with your pump but the neutral an ground wires are bonded within the panel. If this is a sub panel these wires should be separated. Power has potential to float onto the ground wiring which is a safety hazard. Especially with pool equipment.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it is a sub panel. I've been working on the breaker box for the last couple of days. The wiring is reconfigured and the breakers have been replaced. I'll be getting new neutral and ground bars and putting them in separate spaces as those can use an upgrade. I'll be back after that and a few other checks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.