Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Hi,

After studying this forum for a couple of weeks I was convinced to get a pool since y'all make the maintenance sound so easy.
Starting out with a 12x24 above ground.
It will be delivered tomorrow, I have already leveled the sight, put concrete blocks for legs and have sand down for cushion under pool, I plan on setting up tomorrow and filling Friday/Saturday with "city" water.
I have a TF100 test kit that was delivered today.
I plan on starting with 210 lbs of pool salt from what I have read so far.
Is there any other chemicals I should start with before I test or should I wait till the pool is full?
Would there be any advantage to testing the water right out of the tap or filling my dogs pool & testing the water after a period of time?

Thanks,
Clint

Hello Clint and welcome to TFP! :wave: Having the TF-100 was a great decision. :goodjob: Besides the salt, you'll need to add stabilizer for a target of "70" for your SWG pool.
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.
You can use regular bleach form HEB or Walmart to maintain the proper FC level until your SWG is adjusted. I would recommend an FC of 3 the first day, then about 5 thereafter. PH will be in the 7.5-7.8 range.

That should get you going. Feel free to post a full set of results once you get going and we'll give it a look. Nice to have you with us.

Thanks for the quick reply, Should I assume the CYA level is 0 & start with the full 79oz per pool math or test first?

Thanks again

I filled the pool Friday added 210 pounds of salt, started the stabilizer I put about 2.5 LBS in a sock in the skimmer & the rest of the first 4 LB container in a bucket stirring occasionally & adding the cloudy water to the pool sock & bucket are almost empty so I will add balance of stabilizer tonight.
Immediately after filling pool chlorine tested at 5 with pool strips that came with the pool & I could smell chlorine.
I set the pump to boost tested chlorine at 4 PM yesterday with TF-100 kit chlorine at 0 PH at 7.2 salt 3100, I added 65 OZ bleach bottle states yields 7.86% available chlorine tested this morning chlorine FC 13 CC .5 PH still 7.2 so I assume my saltwater generator is working.
I have had it running on boost since I started but has set error codes for salt level too high a couple of times so I reset it & turned off to swim I have not tested other chemicals yet figured I would be better off adjusting 1 or 2 at a time.
What should I do Next?

Thanks,
Clint

First full test:

FC 11.5
CC 0
PH 7.2
TA 90
CH 125
CYA 40
salt 3450?

From what I have read so far my CYA is probably not accurate yet because pool only been up since Friday I started with 4 pounds Clorox pool & spa chlorine stabilizer per pool math should need another pound to get to 70 but I think I will wait to add till I get a good reading.

PH at 7.2 is also not accurate due to high chlorine levels?

Using AquaChek strips to test salt there is not a definite line it kind of goes to a point so I am splitting the difference from bottom of color change to point is this correct? I kind find anything definitive on this.

I am going to start my SWG for 5 hours beginning at 9 A.M. today I work a mid shift so I can verify pump is running before I leave for work.

Does all this sound right so far?

pooldv your pool is beautiful BTW

Thanks again,
Clint

Hello Clint. Congrats on the test kit! Your pH will be "off" when FC is above 10, but usually pH reads high. You're not that far above 10, but next time the FC drops just under 10 I would re-check the pH to make sure it's not too low. Stabilizer if added Friday should be mostly mixed with the water by now if you added it via the sock method and it's all dissolved. But at least you know now how to test and that ideally you want a CYA of 70 so that's good. I'm afraid I don't use the salt strips so I can't help you on that one. Someone else should chime-in shortly. Have a nice day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.