Tips for Building a New Pool

Please add your suggestions, opinions and/or what you might have done differently:

1. If you are debating between a smaller pool and a bigger pool, go bigger! My PB convinced us to go smaller. We regret that decision.
2. Go with a geometric shape such as a rectangle instead of a freeform. This will keep the PB from messing up the measurements.
3. Add a "time is of the essence clause" if you want your pool completed in a timely fashion.
4. If you are wondering whether to get an attached spa, go for it!
5. A pool heater of some sort is a must!
6. Make sure that your last payment to the pool builder is at least 30%. Don't be afraid to modify the contract it is not.
7. If you get a spa then get a remote control to turn on and off the heater and other equipment. Otherwise, you are walking out of the spa to turn it on and off.

Any other opinions?

Comments about your above :

1. Buy (or negotiate) the biggest pool your budget can afford.
2. Subjective
3. Due diligence to make sure your PB isn't a chump.
4. Fact.
5. Fact.
6. Don't give any money to a PB you don't trust and make sure they have a COI for a few MM$.
7. Fact.

Tips:

1. Know how much the pool you want costs and walk your PB down to your price.
2. Trust your gut when it comes down to it. Go with quality and service over price.

3. Bid, then bid, then bid more.
4. Don't believe a word anyone says about margin. They are all full of it.
5. Yes, pool equipment manufacturers give PBs free trips and incentives to sell you their equipment. Research what brand you want and go with them.
6. Know how to sell/negotiate. Look for the upper hand. Could save you thousands.
7. Be persistent and annoying when it comes to forms and paperwork. I got my permit and financing done quicker than discussed.
8. Benches, bubblers, lights, water features, etc. Don't skimp unless it's out of your budget.
9. Don't compare prices with other people. A $50K pool is a $50k pool, not a $70k pool they got for a steal. The proof is in the pudding aka the materials used. Chances are you are not building the same pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.