New house, new pool, existing equipment

stev

Jun 4, 2016
New Brunswick, Canada
To make a long story short - basically I purchased a house that had a 21' above ground pool - just before I purchased it the pool got destroyed so the PO had an insurance thing done and they removed the pool - left the nicely built deck intact and all the pool equipment was left behind when I moved in (heat pump, pump, chroline feeder and sand filter).

Now I stumbled on a wicked deal on classifieds for a 21' pool that also came with a pump and sand filter (as well as some accessories). Needless to say I purchased it and installed the pool as my ground was pretty much leveled slight work was needed, picked up a new liner etc.

Now I have the pool installed and I'm looking at how exactly I go about hooking all this equipment up. The PO left some hoses behind as well that seem to have some sort of check valves etc but I have no idea what goes where ad how it all interconnects.

I know that from my skimmer I need to go into my pump, from my pump (Hayward SP 2290) I got into the sand filter (Hayward S-180T). But anything after this is foreign to me. The heat pump is a Hayward HPABG and the Chlorine Feeder is a Hayward CL200.

Can anyone shed some light on these for me and help me out on how to interconnect everything? Water is still being filled in the pool, in the next day or so I'll be ready to cut the skimmer and return port out.

As you mentioned, the skimmer to the pump which then goes to the filter. The output of the filter then goes to you accessories before going back into the pool. Read up on chlorine feeders, if not careful you will end up adding a bunch of extra CYA which would be bad. The BBB method is the best which means liquid chlorine (aka basic bleach). You can save the feeder for when you are away though.

Read up in pool school on the top right, you'll want a good test kit like mentioned everywhere here. BTW, pictures are always a good thing. :)

Welcome to TFP.

Well all connected up and the system is running.

Guess the previous owners piping has aged over time and is leaking in a few spots so I'll need to address that and repair. Question, my return jet has a couple of drops coming out of it in the rear so a small leak. How do you tighten this thing? If I tighten it more it starts to turn the liner with it.. Don't want to over tighten it as I'm scared I'll ruin the liner.

My skimmer install went fine and is leak free. Only major leak is really the PO piping at the sand filter itself he used hard plastic and the stuff tried up so I'll replace that piece of piping.

Welcome! You'll find plenty of great advice and information on here. Any concerns or questions can be answered, just ask!

How did you decide to chlorinate? As MikeInNH mentioned, you don't want to use that chlorine feeder with tablets or granules on a regular basis as this will cause you other problems down the road. Did you get a good test kit so you can keep your water in balance? Which one? And please update you signature with you pool info following these instructions: Read This Before Posting

Hi, right now yes I am using the chlorine feeder - I set it to 5-6 on the dial for now to raise my chroline level as its below 0.5. Going to bring it to 1.5, once I bring my level up - I'll turn the dial off. GF is stopping by the store this evening to figure out the chemical level stuff and pick some stuff up.

My ph level is 7.2 currently.

The test kit I have is a Waterpick by Technologies Inc.

I'm going to have to address the leak in the pipes and return as well. Any recommendations on the return outlet how to fasten that thing?

Also, the pressure gauge on the sand filter the needle somehow jumped the little rest stop its ons o its on the wrong side ill have to fix that as well. The joyce of trying to make someone else's equipment work!

Does the return have a a piece that is on each side that threads into the other side? If so you also need to seal the threads or it will leak from there which may make it look like is leaking from the other seal. It depends on the type of return you have.

Does the return have a a piece that is on each side that threads into the other side? If so you also need to seal the threads or it will leak from there which may make it look like is leaking from the other seal. It depends on the type of return you have.

This is how it looks like; this is the end at the exterior of the pool.
SP1023_grande.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.