Have to backwash sand filter all the time

Jul 12, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
Hello,
I have had issues with my small in ground pool with a Hayward sand filter for years and finally got it to where I think it will function. The pool was not covered this last year and was loaded with leaves and was black. I have been running the pump non stop for a few days and throwing in a couple bags of shock here and there. Most of the leaves are out, but some are still in. I have to wait until they settle to get them out. My issue is that I have a normal pressure of 12psi and it will go to 20psi after a period of time (Sometimes 15 minutes, sometimes 2 hours). Backwashing and rinsing fixes this for a while, but it soon returns. My question is, does this seem normal for being such a dirty pool? The sand was replaced last year and it seems to run awesome when at 12psi. Once it goes to 20psi it barely is pumping anything. Thanks for any help!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: The filter is doing what it's supposed to do. Unfortunately, it's overwhelmed and will never kill live algae. That's a chemistry issue. To kill/remove algae, you need to refer to the SLAM page (link below) and use one of TFP's recommended test kits (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C) to test as you go. Please look those links over and let us know if you have any questions before proceeding.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. Or you can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

Nice to have you with us.

Ooooh! You've been busy. Well, the SLAM will help you complete that transformation. Just make sure to follow the SLAM page to the "T". Also, you must have one of the recommended test kits (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C). With those two resources you can do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.