any Polaris 65 owners here? Got a few questions

May 17, 2009
Jasper, TN
The guy I got my pool from got me a Polaris 65 that he owed me and hooked it up yesterday.

I was skeptical at first as I did not see the net actually scrape along the bottom constantly. But I came back about an hour or so later and it was half full of junk!!!! My water is crystal clear and I knew there some stuff on the bottom as I haven't had a means to vacuum in 3 weeks since it's been up, but wow, it really worked.

The only thing it didn't get is some sand I blew in the pool before I knew the proper way to backwash :)

But the main questions... how often do you run the Polaris in your pool? It's a lot heavier than I expected. I unhooked it when the kids wanted to get in yesterday evening, and it was pretty awkward pulling all the hose and unit over the side and finding a place to store it. It picked up mud from dragging on the ground some.

The owners manual says not to leave in direct sunlight. So does that mean don't run it during the day?

Where do you place all the hose and unit when not in use? I mean do you have it easily available to use every day or do you just use it less often? I don't have nearby trees so I don't have a whole lot of stuff getting in the pool.

Mine is in one of those large plastic storage tubs, hoses all curled up, and has been there for 18 months. I bought it 2 seasons ago, used it for part of that first summer and then put it to sleep. I'm not satisfied with how it performs in my oval pool.

When I did use it I stored the unit in the pool house and hung the hoses on hooks attached to the deck railing. As to sun exposure I think they mean don't leave it in full sun when not in use to prevent cracking of the hoses.

If there's anybody within a reasonable vicinity who would like to buy it, please PM me.

If you leave it in the full sun, the internal piston can be damaged by the extreme heat and it will stop changing direction.

As a side note, I've repaired mine more times than I can count, and know it backwards and forwards, so if you have any questions, feel free to post or PM me. I try to look out for the Polaris 65 threads.

AnnaK said:
I'm not satisfied with how it performs in my oval pool.

When I did use it I stored the unit in the pool house and hung the hoses on hooks attached to the deck railing. As to sun exposure I think they mean don't leave it in full sun when not in use to prevent cracking of the hoses.

Hmm. I wonder if it's because of the shape? For some reason it works better in round pools? I can't see how that could matter. But for whatever reason it's doing an incredible job in mine.

Thanks for the tip on the big tub.

Wolfmarsh said:
If you leave it in the full sun, the internal piston can be damaged by the extreme heat and it will stop changing direction.

As a side note, I've repaired mine more times than I can count, and know it backwards and forwards, so if you have any questions, feel free to post or PM me. I try to look out for the Polaris 65 threads.

Have you had it a long time is the reason you've had to repair it so much?

rastoma said:
Hmm. I wonder if it's because of the shape? For some reason it works better in round pools? I can't see how that could matter. But for whatever reason it's doing an incredible job in mine.

I really am glad to hear it works for you.

In our pool it would bump up against the pool wall and when it wanted to change direction it would get caught up by its hose and get stuck there. Eventually it would bounce off the floating hose back against the pool wall and linger there for a while. My guess is it has something to do with the water pressure. I have a 2-speed pump. On the low setting the Polaris barely moves but on the high setting it goes sort of ballistic. Neither way is effective.

For me, it's more relaxing to vacuum by hand and much less stressful than fiddling with the robot.

Ive had it for 3 seasons now (no telling how long the previous owner had it).

The way the internal "direction shifter" works is pretty neat, but also subject to more than a few failure modes.

I've found that in order to keep it working at its best, I need to pull it apart and work on the seals a little bit inside of the piston at the beginning of the season.

Its a fairly simple device, and easy to take apart/clean/work on.

I find that its a pretty good cleaner, especially in my pool. The two keys to getting it working really nicely are the length of the hoses (both to and from the return, and to the bag on the bottom) and the water pressure coming out of the return (thats what the little dial on the connector is for).

I am needing information about that Polaris Turtle pool cleaner, as ours stopped going backwards and we need some information about fixing it. Also, I need to get that net that drags underneath and I'm not sure what part it is, what it's called so I can order one.
Will watch for some answer from someone.
:)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.