New Above Pool Owner w/Sand Filter & Saltwater Sys - low Free Clorine, pH, Alkalinity

New Above Pool Owner w/Sand Filter & Saltwater Sys - low Free Clorine, pH, Alkalinity

Hello Trouble Free Pool Members,
I hope to capitalize on your knowledge. I am a new 20" x 48" above ground pool owner in CO and we have just filled our pool. We have a sand filter & Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System. We ran the Saltwater system for 48 hours in boost mode. The copper test strip is fine at .15 but the Free Chorine, pH level, and total alkalinity test pads shows all levels very low. I have not added any cyanuric acid at this point.
What do I do to get these levels to normal levels.

Re: New Above Pool Owner w/Sand Filter & Saltwater Sys - low Free Clorine, pH, Alkali

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: When you have new water, there are 3 immediate concerns:
1. CYA adjusted up to at least 70 ppm for your SWG; you can use the Poolmath calculator (link below) to help with dosage
2. FC at about 3 ppm while the stabilizer is soaking for the CYA; after that, increase FC to about 5 ppm
3. PH maintain between 7.5-7.8

Now that's just an immediate start. There's more adjustments from there. But to do those things you must have the right test kit - either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C (link below) Never trust test strips or pool store testing. For FC, use regular liquid bleach if needed until your SWG is adjusted.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. Or you can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

Nice to have you with us.