Calculating Pool Volume

I have found much more accuracy by way of adding chemicals then noting the test results after 30 minute to 1 hour of pump run time.

My pool is similar ish in dimensions but a pear/capsule shape.

If you came to 13,000 gallons by your estimate, then a half gallon of 8.25% bleach added to the pool, should yield a free chlorine
increase of 4 to 4.5 ppm.

I got this by putting that into pool math to confirm.

I knew I was close to 13k though from when I did a fresh fill and did the math to fill a 5 gallon bucket with the water bib
open all the way.

I don't want to sound dense but why not just plug your numbers into it ??

Should be in the neighborhood of 11 or 12K gal depending on what you think the average is on the shallow end.

Once you start making chemical additions you can tell if you're a little high or low depending on if you undershoot or overshoot your target goal. You need to be very accurate with your calculations and measuring until you message that capacity up or down to the point that you hit your goal (or close) all the time.

Josh:

I understand the challenge of an "odd shaped" pool! I calculated mine in two ways: 1) the amount of time used to flush the pool with a pump that discharged at 60 gpm, and 2) running some averages to calculate volume (a good test of my geometry recall!). In each case I came up with about 30K gallons. I then made a few adjustments with chemicals against the Pool Math calculator and got results that were very close when using the 30K value for my volume. In lieu of anything better, I figure I can stay with my 30K number.....hope you find the same to be true!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.