New Pump Problems & Procedures

IrwinK

Apr 25, 2016
Orlando, FL
I had the Start-Up of my pool yesterday.
PB showed me how to clean my cartridge filter.

Gauge showed 10 lbs. and was told to clean when it showed 20 lbs.
This was on the highest speed 4 of my VS pump.

When I set the speed to lowest speed 1 it reads barely above 0. and speed 2 is 3 lbs speed 3 is 6 lbs

Which speed do I use to keep track of this or doesn't it matter as long as when it reads 10 lbs higher it's time to clean the filter.

Note: I plan on using the lowest speed I can which right now dafaults at speed 1 = 750 rpm @ 43 watts. The settings for each speed can be adjusted.

Re: Filter Pressure Gauge Readings

Use a higher speed to do your PSI checks as the readings are often low (or 0) at very low speeds.

Remember, TFP recommends filter cleaning when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure ... the reason we do this is because the old 10psi rise clearly does not make any sense when the starting pressures can vary so much with VS pumps and pool setups. If you wait for the pressure to go up 10psi, you may have VERY little water flow left ... this is just too late.

FYI, I think the most efficient speed is usually closer to 1000 rpm when you take into account the amount of water that is moved.

Bubbles in strainer basket on low speeds

Another question after my new pool start-up.

Ran the circulation pump all night at speed 1 (750 rpm). This morning the water level in the strainer was 3/4 with a big air space at top. Running ok and quiet. I increased speed to 2 (1,500 rpm = 153 watts) no air space but a few small bubbles. Speed 3 (2,250 rpm) no bubbles at all.

Do you think this is a problem. I will probably be running at 750 rpm (43 watts) for efficiency or adjust it slightly higher.

Note that when I slow pump down to the lowest speed after running a few minutes at the higher speeds it will run clear of bubbles but after an hour or so they return.

There are no leaks around the circulation pump.

That seems to be fairly normal at lower speeds. Likely air is being pulling in past the pump lid seal at lower speeds when the suction is not as high and not pulling down on the lid as hard.

Thank you for helping with my new VS pump(s). I'm more at ease with the pumps now. It has been a hectic few days of plaster, water and the start-up.

Thanks for merging into one thread but sure wish I had named it New Pump problems and procedures. I'll probably have more questions at some point. This is one of the few times I have ventured away from my Build Thread.

Been running my VS pump for over a week now since start-up at 750 rpm 24 hrs per day. water is crystal clear.

Now will be setting timer for 12 hrs. per day for the summer. Wondering if 750 rpm is too slow. I can adjust this default setting higher.
I use speed 2 which is 1500 rpm when I add chemicals.

Sure like the 43 watt power consumption at 750 rpm.

What I've found with VS pumps low vs. high speed operation is that at low speeds the pump can't fill the entire pipe with water so there is going to be air that gets trapped in the pipe which will be dispelled once the pump is put in high speed. No issue here, doesn't mean you have an air leak.

I generally set one of the default speeds to 3000rpm as the filter psi common check point. On our pools at 3000rpm the psi on a Clean and Clear Plus 420 or Quad 60 is usually around 17psi and we've found that TFP is correct in that around 22-24psi the spillover from the spa drops off and the filter needs to be backwashed or cleaned.

**Just noticed you have a CC200 filter. Seems a little small for an XF pump only because the filter is max rated for 150gpm but recommended not to exceed 75gpm. Be careful when running at high speeds, that pump will hit 100gpm @ 68 feet of head on 3110rpm's. This is of course depending on the plumbing etc.

I have 2.5" plumbing at the equipment pad and the CC200 filter is an RP with 2.5" connection fittings. I don't see any need to run it above 1500 rpm but have tested it and run ok at the default of 3150 with 12 psi on the filter gauge.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just raised speed 1 to 800 rpm. Power consumption is now 46 watts.

Better action in the skimmer with just a 50 rpm increase. Am I correct that when I get a SWG later in the year that will determine the minimum speed I need and running time too.

After 3 weeks of running, Bubbles in the Circulation Pump basket are gone even at the low 800 speed.

I never mentioned that the 2nd pump, the Feature Pump for the Sheer Waterfalls had lots of bubbles even at the high speeds.
Got that cured after I cleaned out the Pump basket. Found a 4" piece of duct tape and a screw in there. Replaced the lid and bubbles gone.

I was beginning to get concerned bubbles in Feature Pump might be Cavitation.

PB didn't install Pentair "recommended" pipe length from Elbow to Pump Suction Inlet. For my 3" pipe on that pump should have been 5x the 3" diameter = 15" but I measured 12"

PB refuses to change it saying it doesn't matter.
How critical do you think the additional length is?

Feature Pump runs smooth and quiet with no bubbles now at all speeds.
Pentair manual says 'Recommends". Does not say "Requires".

attachment.php

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.