Who should become a TFP Supporter?

SeanB

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
I'm going to give a little opinion here that, when I was the owner of TFP, would probably have been a little inappropriate. Now that the torch has been passed on, I'd like to give my .02 on some criteria I think you should use on deciding whether or not to become a TFP Supporter. This is my own personal opinion and not necessarily shared or endorsed by the current owner and admin of TFP.

If you can answer YES to one or more of the following questions, then you should strongly consider supporting the site financially.

1. Have you used advice on this site and saved yourself more than the $30 cost of becoming a Lifetime Supporter?

2. Has the advice you have received on this site saved you multiple hours of time that would have otherwise been wasted trying to solve pool care issues like getting rid of algae?

3. Has this site prevented your from making a terrible mistake, like hiring a disreputable pool builder, or buying inadiquate or ineffective equipment?

4. Has this site taught you how to keep your water sanitary and free of dangerous pathogens?

5. (and this one may be a bit controversial)... Have you made more than 50 posts on the forum? That may seem like a somewhat arbitrary number, but I hope that folks realize the time, effort, and money that it costs to run this fantastic online community does come with a financial cost. If you enjoy the ability to have your questions asked and answered, viewing the terrific slide-show of so many pools, reading all the incredible articles in "Pool School" or just being able to chat with other great folks, then I hope you'll give serious consideration to supporting this site and those who keep it available for you 24/7, 365 days a year. Many of the costs associated with running the site continue year round even when most of us have our pools closed and are not thinking about swimming. Donations made this time of year help to keep the site going during the winter too.

Again, that's just my own personal opinion (based on direct experience). :goodjob:

A little history from me - my own little 4 cents on the issue. :p

I came to this site in May 2007 out of desperation. :grrrr: I didn't choose my screenname on accident. The level of frustration I was experiencing from my pool was resulting in actual tears. :cry: I kid you not. I did some googling, found that other site, and that led me here. :wink:

Now, within 1 month my pool situation was on the road to recovery. Within 2 months I was extremely grateful. However, after spending several hundred dollars in one month being Pool Stored, the thought of spending more money on a test kit and more money supporting the site, I balked. I wouldn't do it. I tried to get by with a little Wally World kit. Wasn't cutting it, forcing me to go the dreaded Pool Stealer. I still balked at supporting the site and buying a kit...

Fast forward to last Spring 08. I opened for the first time to crystal clear water and a FC residual! All I had to do was up the FC a bit, the numbers were just about perfect. I was stunned. Sealed the deal. I thought to myself, "what would I have spent this spring were it not for TFP?" Within 1 week I ordered my TF100 and I became a Lifetime Supporter. I still spent less than I would have if I was still using that stupid Pool Frog.

My first reaction to testing with the kit? "What the heck was I waiting for, this thing ROCKS!" :goodjob:

Supporting the site, and "paying it forward" by helping others like Evan, Dave, Sean and Jason helped me, is the VERY LEAST I can do.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Supporting the site, and "paying it forward" by helping others like Evan, Dave, Sean and Jason helped me, is the VERY LEAST I can do.
And it did it so well that the alien seed pod was placed by your bed while you slept and you became a Mod!

Generally, I think it's a much better option to support a site through donations rather than to have commercials blinking everywhere.
This is a great site where your questions get answered within minutes most of the time. Beacuse of that and of it's friendly atmosphere it's obvious for me to support this site :wave:

Great post Sean. I agree 110%!

Since I found the other site and this site before my pool was built I can happily say I have never been pool stored. Although I would wish ill on anyone, I get a bit of satisfaction when people I meet tell me tales of woe concerning their pools. I always mention this site as well as www.poolcalculator.com.

I have received way more than my monies worth from this site so I always try to help if I feel I can bring something of value to the table.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I became a member before my first post. How's that for patriotism? lol

Seriously, I read the board a bit and quickly realized this is a great place. It's just a way of saying "thank you" and I appreciate it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.