HELP!! Southern pool issues

Jul 12, 2016
Atoka, TN
HI! I came across this site while looking for answers to my pool issues, after 3 trips to the pool place in a week with no help!
I have had a permasalt (After reading this forum I realized I screwed up there) system for 5 years now. 30 foot above ground pool.
ABout this time every year we start to experience what we are having happen right now. In the past we thought it was the cooper tube that needed to be replaced, so this year we bought 2! We have replaced the copper tube, and the pool place says our levels are fine on ph, alkalinity, and cooper. However, the pool is cloudy and starting to turn green!
I need advice on what to do.
Do we need to stop using the weekly treatments of clarate and the activate stuff and just start shoking it? Do I just start using chlorine to control it?

Please help me!!
Teacher at home with 2 kids who just wanna swim!!!!!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Just stop putting more copper in your pool and maintain adequate chlorine levels. At this point we need to see test results (from one of the Recommended Test Kits) to know your CYA level which determines the FC level you need to maintain, according to the FC/CYA Chart.

Likely you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process, but if your copper levels are high, the elevated chlorine levels could cause staining (which is why we AVOID adding metals to out pools!).

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool