Coping Movement Issue (aluminum coping, in-ground, vinyl liner)

Jul 12, 2016
Dayton, OH
Hey everyone! Longtime lurker, newly participating. I purchased my home with pool in 2013. It was in fairly good shape, but the liner was wrinkled and completely faded along with a limping pump motor and a diving board held together with luck. Since then I have removed the diving board, replaced the motor, replaced the liner, and cleaned everything pretty well.

I had the liner replaced last summer and it looks great. But, the old liner had some wrinkles and sagging with the liner popped out of the coping in a few spots. So I have been watching it closely to see if this situation occurs with the new liner. About two weeks ago I noticed what looked like some pulling on the liner in the deep end corner with the coping. Getting close up I can see the coping at an elbow is pushing inwards and away from the concrete. I do not see any major shifting of the concrete and none of the rest of the coping is affected. The cracking in the concrete was there in 2013 and I have noticed no movement away from the pool. The coping seems to be "curling" inward on itself. This was not happening last summer. I have attached pics. I believe it would be moving more, but the anchor piece is latched behind the adjoin piece of coping which is not moving. I have some ideas about anchoring the coping to the concrete, but really need the help of people who know better.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Pol problems really stress me out as a nooby. Thanks! :)

Mike

Attachments

• IMAG0977.jpg
    IMAG0977.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 36
  • IMAG0978.jpg
    IMAG0978.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMAG0980.jpg
    IMAG0980.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 36
Hey Mike, welcome!!!

Do you think it could be water damage? That's a pretty significant Crack.

So my goal at the moment is to stop the coping's movement towards the center of the pool and thus the pressure on the liner. I can clamp the coping such as with a pipe clamp to stop any further movement while I have the installer of the pool come out to take a look. My only concern is how much pressure that style of coping can handle without warping.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.