SWG bit the dust

TN94z

May 15, 2012
Henderson, TN
I went out last night to turn the pool off and noticed that my SWG had no lights on it. I checked the receptacle to make sure it hadn't been tripped. What's the normal life on these? The pool isn't that old. If it's gone, I'll have to just close the pool up for the year because I don't have the money to replace it at this time.

Any suggestions on anything I may have missed? It's the Jandy AquaSeries Ei Pure Salt System

The Jandy literature doesn't say but a typical cell life is about 5 years. However, if the cell was exclusively run using TFP methodology, you should get longer than that. It really depends on the history of the cell, how well it was maintained, etc. The design life from most manufacturers is 10,000 hours of chlorine production time but that figure can vary a lot and is really just an optimal value.

I agree, if the cell is dead just switch to bleach. Closing a pool in the middle of the summer will just create a green swamp.

I had a SWG when I first had our pool installed. After the second time it quit working (maybe 4-5 years) I started using granulated trichlor which worked well until the stabilizer level got too high. That is when I found TFP and learned to manage the water correctly. I have been very happy using Clorox, baking soda, and muriatic acid since then. I was in a SWG pool at a hotel last weekend and found that I like my fresh water pool MUCH better.

Ok. So just forget about replacing it and use bleach instead? Sounds good. Is that a permanent resolution or is that just temporary until I can buy a new one?
That's depends on your preferences, you can manually add bleach every day or so, till you save to fix/replace existing system, or get some automation to add chlorine. You have options. You may want to review pool school care for pool section.

Ok. So just forget about replacing it and use bleach instead? Sounds good. Is that a permanent resolution or is that just temporary until I can buy a new one?

It certainly can be permanent if you want it to be. As a matter of fact (this would probably make a good poll), most members here probably add their chlorine manually. You can save over time to get yourself a new SWG, or automator. But manually adding bleach works 100% fine. Other methods are for convenience. I wouldn't even think about shutting down the pool for the summer! It's an easy solution. Just make sure you use plain, unscented bleach. Check the concentration, plug it into pool math, and there ya go! Enjoy!

GC

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dumb question, but: does this model have a fuse that can blow? I had a similar problem with mine, but it just needed to be cleaned and the fuse replaced.

It has two fuses that I have found. I saw one that was blown, so I ordered some more. I replaced that one, turned it on, and the second fuse blew. I replaced the second fuse, turned it on, and they both blew. I noticed that the 2nd one I replaced did not click all the way into place. Could that have been why it blew? I have 3 more, but wanted to post up the situation before just throwing those in there and blowing them too...suggestions??

It has two fuses that I have found. I saw one that was blown, so I ordered some more. I replaced that one, turned it on, and the second fuse blew. I replaced the second fuse, turned it on, and they both blew. I noticed that the 2nd one I replaced did not click all the way into place. Could that have been why it blew? I have 3 more, but wanted to post up the situation before just throwing those in there and blowing them too...suggestions??

Add bleach for now while you're dealing with SWG. Post the pic of the problem, someone might recognize it. Do you have one of recommended test kits? You'd need to monitor your water more closely without SWG.

Add bleach for now while you're dealing with SWG. Post the pic of the problem, someone might recognize it. Do you have one of recommended test kits? You'd need to monitor your water more closely without SWG.

The pic of the problem would be a blown fuse. I have been using the recommended test kits for years now. I'm experienced with the chemical side of the pool. I am looking for suggestions with the SWG blowing fuses...

The pic of the problem would be a blown fuse. I have been using the recommended test kits for years now. I'm experienced with the chemical side of the pool. I am looking for suggestions with the SWG blowing fuses...

I see- you just looking for someone with exactly same problem? Good luck.

SWG is just electrolysis cell, its power circuit should have enough built in protection to survive shorts etc. The problem most likely is not related to the cell itself especially seeing how quickly they blow. Since you're not telling more details it's hard to make anything out of it. In general the more readily something blows the easier the fix. It's those random ones which drive you nuts.

I see- you just looking for someone with exactly same problem? Good luck.

SWG is just electrolysis cell, its power circuit should have enough built in protection to survive shorts etc. The problem most likely is not related to the cell itself especially seeing how quickly they blow. Since you're not telling more details it's hard to make anything out of it. In general the more readily something blows the easier the fix. It's those random ones which drive you nuts.

Listen man, no need to be smart. I may not post as much, but I've been around the site longer than you. I understand the chemical side very well as I never have any issues with the exception of this SWG. If you would actually read the thread, you would see that the guy I quoted had the exact same problem. I know nothing about electronics, but if I need to take a picture of the circuit board and the blown fuse, I will. Not sure how it's going to help without being able to actually go through the circuits. I have described the problem, I have tried a recommendation, and I have described what happens. I really don't know what else you want me to do.

I call myself cleaning it, but I guess I can try that again. Are you talking specifically about the circuit board and internals?

No, the actual inside of the SWG. Sometimes it can get severe enough scale to short out and blow the fuse - you have to clean that with diluted muriatic acid, or at least inspect it to see if there is scale. If you've already inspected that, then you have a short somewhere that you're going to have to hunt down.

No, the actual inside of the SWG. Sometimes it can get severe enough scale to short out and blow the fuse - you have to clean that with diluted muriatic acid, or at least inspect it to see if there is scale. If you've already inspected that, then you have a short somewhere that you're going to have to hunt down.

Oh, I gotcha. No, I actually did not clean that. I just blew out any dirt, dust, or debris from the circuit board. I will clean that tomorrow and try again. I guess I need to go ahead and order a few more fuses until I can find the issue. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.