Quote to re-surface / re-tile

Rollercoastr

Gold Supporter
May 18, 2016
West Bloomfield, MI
This is my 1972 13'x24', 4' & 8' deep indoor pool. It's constructed of concrete blocks in a crawl-space with a painted plaster surface. Just above the spot of sun in this pic is a missing chunk of the floor surgace . There are other rough spots as well. The coping tile is outdated, the closest row of deck tile is bleached and splotchy. The ladder is loose, the pool has no steps and the previous owner claimed to have "patched" the bottom with epoxy several times.

y3m_QEv_19ftb2BxjAZr0L1Hd8cGbGmD6xnZR9GJOqSpgfiaedM_R697lL-OUkpA5eDp_OlGBEM57liIowhtZP8fDhEN7_q2pUthrKC7p4hG192CdPxdWKM447uMuzrOyqXx7XyCxkRUqeN0XMYjdGePJu5D2aV_kJPLao73hO9uOA

This week I obtained this quote:

New Tile: $6,500
1) Remove waterline tile as well as related mortar bed
2) Haul debris from site
3) Supply and install new 12" waterline tile, cap tile, and as well as related mortar bed

Re-finish Pool Interior $6,500
1) Drain pool and take precautions to prevent hydrostatic lift.
2) Utilize industrial demolition hammers to detect and remove loose/delaminated finish.
3) Etch remaining finish with muriatic acid. Power wash to ensure adequate rinse.
4) Apply Bond Kote to provide suitable substrate for new finish.
5) Re-finish interior of pool

Option 1: Refinish with Diamond Brite (within White Group) $1,500
Option 2: Refinish with Pebble (within White Group) $4,000

The cost estimate for the refinishing was actually below my expectations. However, the tile cost was considerably higher than I expected.

I'm looking for thoughts / reactions. I discussed the addition of steps with the rep. He said they could do it, but I'll have to ask him to add it as an option.

Last edited:
Thanks DV. I say the house is Frank Lloyd Wright-ish. In its current state, it's all about potential, but I knew that going in. I'm looking fwd to the day that the pool is a source of pride and pleasure instead of an embarrassment and hassle!

I wonder if I tipped my hand to the rep when I told him that I hate the current tile. Funny how that price came back high, but I'm also willing to believe that I'm underestimating how much work it will be.

It can get ugly underneath tile and of course they need to be very level. Not DIY if this is your 2nd or 3rd tile job.

House is very Wright-ish. I am a huge wright fan.

I found pool records!!!!

With no surprise I only found 1 document in the folder from the previous owner. It's a receipt dated in 2008 to clean and balance the pool.

The owner previous to that kept good records. I had to laugh as I went through the Leslie's Pool Forms and noticed that each form had a different estimate of volume. I've made the same guesses. They range from 9,000 gallons to 14,040. I wonder how they found that last 40 gallons...

Further in are brochures and a receipt for Fibre Tech in 1992. My pool inspector believed that I have a painted plaster surface, but could it be painted or even NOT painted Fibre Tech from 24 years ago? Does that happen?

The current surface is crumbling to the point that I'm scared to use the vacuum - if the vacuum head gets stuck it pulls chucks out of the floor. I was attributing that to age and the fact that pH and CH were very low when I took possession. Another concern was that of all the Leslie's products left behind, none of it included a way to increase CH. I'm not sure if he ever did it.

Back to my questions: Is it possible that I have a 24 year old Fibre Tech pool? (I haven't read impressive things about FT longevity, esp in the midst of poor maintenance) Could Fibre Tech be mistaken for painted plaster, or is it more likely that someone painted the Fibre Tech along the way? The 3rd and seemingly least-likely option: did the PO resurface after the Fibre Tech and not mention or keep records of it?

I would say that it is possible. Being indoors will protect the surface from UV and help it last longer. It has a 25 year warranty maybe give them a call to see how robust that warranty is. :)

There are a number of diy gelcoat products on the market, mostly for boats. Maybe somebody used one along the way.

From their website: "Chemical abuse of the pool's surface will void your warranty. Chemical abuse is considered to be any chemical levels that do not fall within the recommended ranges specified in the Use and Care Guide for an extended period of time."

I won't bother them. Neglect by the previous owner certainly voided the warranty. Too bad. Since he had that documentation the whole time, I'm surprised he didn't pursue a warranty claim at the first sign of failure. (but then again, he denied there WAS failure, even with chunks of floor missing)

ugh

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, I won't pursue it. When I took possession of the house, the pool was essentially a calcium-free acid bath. I'm not surprised when any company looks for ways to get out of honoring a warranty, and FT could easily make a case of "chemical abuse".

(I should say though, that FT's response in that link had some legit-sounding points)

Yes, legit points indeed. Lots of people have to replaster their pool within 5 to 10 years due to not managing water chemistry. When that same pool properly managed would easily last 20 years or more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.