Target FC question

May 11, 2016
MD
So... All the reading I have done. I may have seen the answer many times but in different forms... but...

Do you aim for Target FC constantly? Or do you get to the Target FC and let it drop through the day?

Or do you aim above it, and let it drop to the target number?

During a SLAM, more than twice a day but less than every hour. During "normal" times, once a day is fine. If you are in the heat of summer with lots of sun and lots of bather load you would want to go a little over target to avoid falling below the minimum.

IANAC (I am not a chemist, and I'll certainly be lambasted for posting this but)

In my opinion one of the reasons TFP works is because we keep the chlorine so darn high that algae never has a chance to get started.

At a CYA of 50 my 18,000 gallon pool is currently going through 81 ounces of 8.25% chlorine a day to maintain a target of 6ppm.

I usually try to maintain the target... within 1 either direction.. 2, 3 year old toddlers running around don't allow me to always keep an eye on the pool chemicals so I will generally throw in a tad bit more chlorine that the calculator says and let it drift back down. Slightly over chlorinated is better that under chlorinated

IANAC (I am not a chemist, and I'll certainly be lambasted for posting this but)

In my opinion one of the reasons TFP works is because we keep the chlorine so darn high that algae never has a chance to get started.

At a CYA of 50 my 18,000 gallon pool is currently going through 81 ounces of 8.25% chlorine a day to maintain a target of 6ppm.
Actually, with the recommended CYA levels the actual active chlorine in a TFP pool is much less than a public pool with no CYA.

Our philosophy is to give the pool only what it absolutely needs, in the minimal amount to be effective, chlorine included. We do not advocate anyone keep any level of chemical 'so darned high'.

Dom

What is important is to never let FC drop below minimum or the pool will be unsanitary. To keep the pool properly sanitized maintain FC above minimum at all times. Add enough chlorine so that when you next test and add FC is above minimum. It is safe to swim up to shock level. Target is just a suggestion of a number that should keep you above min.

So if my target is 8 will this damage pool equipment quicker or is it not really 8 due to my higher CYA level? Maybe its a pool store myth but I recall them telling me that higher FC levels will damage or wear down your equipment quicker.

Yep, that's pool store misinformation. The FC/CYA relationship is one most all pool stores don't have a clue about. The FC would have to be somewhere near 3x SLAM level to cause damage. "Target" is WELL below that.

So if my target is 8 will this damage pool equipment quicker or is it not really 8 due to my higher CYA level? Maybe its a pool store myth but I recall them telling me that higher FC levels will damage or wear down your equipment quicker.

No damage. There is a not-so-secret interaction between CYA and FC that has been published since the 1970s, where a FC level up to 16 with a CYA level of 40 is not a harmful level of chlorine. As you know this is 'off the charts' of what the pool store recommends, like on the test strips. I learned over 10 years that if I follow the test strip/pool store recommendations, my pool stays cloudy to the edge of green. Which is a fine color of water to swim in Gulf of Mexico beaches...

CHAD

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.