Pump Size Confusion

LacyD

Jul 12, 2016
Houston, Texas
I've spent the last couple of hours combing through threads (including pool school) because I know it can be annoying when a new person asks a question that has already been answered a thousand times. Well, I'm still stuck...

We set up our 18x48 AG last week. We had no intention of using the pump that came with the pool because a much better one was promised to us. That deal fell through and we have been running the original pump since then. The pump isn't circulating the water like we want, and I don't want to go overboard with an upgrade. I really just need a recommended size that would be appropriate for our pool. We live in the Houston area, so we experience some pretty extreme temperatures. I noticed there are a few locals on here, so you feel my pain! ;)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: In an effort to try and get you the best answer, we need you to please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. Or you can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

Knowing all of the equipment you have (or don't have), to include any accessories (fountains, bubblers, etc) will help us determine if you should have a standard 1-2 HP motor, or perhaps recommend a variable speed motor. So it's best to know these things first. Let us know and someone will be happy to give you some ideas. Nice to have you with us.

I have the same pool, 18 x48. I upgraded my pump right away because I had used the intex pumps on previous pools for a long time and they were not adequate for me. I researched and purchased the Hayward 1hp c550 cartridge filter combo unit. I love it, the unit has a cartridge filter which I wanted for various reasons (reading the pool filter comparison in the references of this site). The unit is not over powered but moves the water and filter very well. If you go this route you will need to get the intex 40mm adaptors to 11/2" adaptors sold by Game (Fairly cheap from Amazon or Wal-mart.com) If you look at my sig below it will have my build with pictures which will give some ideas ... Many people will recommend the intex / sand filter pumps, many people like them, I just wanted to use a cartridge filter and a regular pool pump that would have enough flow to add things later such as solar ...

Take Care

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.