Effect on TA when adding MA at different pH levels?

Jun 1, 2008
NW MO
How much aeration does it take to bring up pH?

I know this is a very difficult question to answer. I am trying to lower TA so that I can add borates. 3 days ago I brought my pH to 7.0 with MA. I have been aerating by having my return pointed up and I have a sump pump on the other side with a spray hear on the end of the hose - making bubble. In the 3 days I have been aerating pH has risen barely to 7.2. At this rate it will be all summer before I get the TA down.

When I tested my borates, it is already showing that I have 15ppm in the water. Is this preventing my pH from rising with the aeration?

Re: Lowering TA with MA & Aeration

There is no easy way to estimate how long it should take. You want lots of small bubbles. There is no standard way to compare how much aeration you are getting. It often takes days to raise the PH with aeration, and borates can slow that down significantly.

OK, now I have aeration - I hope it goes faster!

I hooked up the sump pump that we already had in the pool to the power washer.

IMG00009.jpg

IMG00008.jpg

Pictures were hard to get. The sun was just coming up. I keep playing with the wand slightly. When I had it closer to the water, it was throwing water out of the pool. It is really making the water move and I think it making a lot of bubbles to aid in the pH rise.

I got the nozzle closer to the water at a lesser angle - making a bunch of bubbles. pH still isn't rising like I would like for it to, but it is definitely faster than before.

I saw a chart (linked from here) yesterday that showed the relationship of the level of pH and the level of TA and the percentage that TA was affected when adding MA. Now I can't find it. Does anyone have a link to it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A fixed amount of muriatic acid (for example one cup) will always change the TA by the same amount, regardless of what the current PH is. So there wouldn't be a chart showing exactly what you said. You can see how much some amount of acid will lower the TA using the effects of adding chemicals section at the bottom of my Pool Calculator.

Perhaps you are talking about this chart? It doesn't show what you just said it shows, but I could imagine someone describing it that way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.