Filter pressure high after a clean

Jun 25, 2016
KATY
Hi everyone I'm having trouble with my filter pressure being high and it's irritating me now.
So my pool was a green colored swap so I shocked the pool ( lowered the PH to 7.2 and brought CYA to 30) by bringing free chlorine to 13. Pool was improving but then it stayed the same color for 4 days.
1. I cleaned the filter by hosing the cartidges down (green colored) and added 8 scoops of DE (recommend dose) psi went to 34. No improvements in 2 days,
2. Took the filter apart again hosed it down (brown colored) added 2 scoops of DE (I know it was too little but my psi jumped to 32.
3 (We're I am now) took the filter apart cleaned it a third time and added no DE, and my psi is at 26psi as I type this.
Any ideas as to what it could be?
Also the filters were changed in March and when I cleaned them I saw no tears or holes in the filters.

1. Your text implies you waited for some number of days before cleaning your filter??? That's not SLAMming your pool.

2. psi of 34 indicates a virtually completely clogged filter....probably little if any flow at the returns.

3. You never tell us what your clean psi was so we can't compare.

4. I am not a DE expert but I don't think your DE filter is EVER supposed to be run with no DE in the filter.

The way to get your pool fixed is to ....

1. Post your complete set of test results and tell us what your water looks like,

At that time, turn the pump off and clean the filter (there is an article in Pool School) and then reinstall the DE and Tell us what the psi reads. (pump running)

We'll go from there. Does your psi ever go to zero when the pump is off?

Use your hard-earned money and give us a good set of test results from your TF-100......that's the starting point.

1. Your text implies you waited for some number of days before cleaning your filter??? That's not SLAMming your pool.

2. psi of 34 indicates a virtually completely clogged filter....probably little if any flow at the returns.

3. You never tell us what your clean psi was so we can't compare.

4. I am not a DE expert but I don't think your DE filter is EVER supposed to be run with no DE in the filter.

The way to get your pool fixed is to ....

1. Post your complete set of test results and tell us what your water looks like,

At that time, turn the pump off and clean the filter (there is an article in Pool School) and then reinstall the DE and Tell us what the psi reads. (pump running)

We'll go from there. Does your psi ever go to zero when the pump is off?

Use your hard-earned money and give us a good set of test results from your TF-100......that's the starting point.
1. Well I was slamming the pool and the color of the pool did improve but it then stayed the same color no improvement in 4 days.
2 & 3. Sorry about missing that information. My psi is at 14 psi, and thats with no D.E. after I add 8 scoops of D.E (recommended dose) my psi shoots up to 34.
4. I agree with that. The last test was more to see if my PSI would jump up which it did (14 PSI new and in 30 min it sat at 26 PSI)-----

My current test results are:
PH:7.2
FC: 1
CC 1
TA: 120
CH: 400
CYA: 30

PSI does go to 0 if pump is off. Color is a Teal color.

Seems like you need to give your filter a good cleaning. More here, Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

If there is algae in the pool it can very quickly clog a filter, especially a DE filter. Did you complete the SLAM process shown here? SLAM Process
Well I cleaned my filter down with a hose and made sure I got as much debirs out as I could. I was not able to finish my slam process because the water did not improve so I assumed my filter was clogged or something (which it was).

Now I cleaned it again today, spent nearly an hour making sure I put everything right and my starting PSI is at 14. I just want to make sure Im not missing anything before I add the D.E and get the pump running again.

I did not do a chemical clean since my filters are only 8 months old. I just cleaned the filters with a garden hose.

Since I had my pool my PSI has always been 28+ and never been below that, even after a pool guy came and cleaned the pools (Don't know if he cleaned the filter while he was at it). Is it possible it could be a piping issue? Sorry if it's too vague of a question it's just that I'm trying to do this on my own without asking someone to fix it. Thanks again for your help

20160713_084952_zpsxrysl5ve.jpg

20160713_084939_zpscs7ukyg4.jpg

20160713_084927_zpscymbwlag.jpg
20160713_084959_zpshr8l6lcv.jpg

This is my filter off. When started with NO D.E it sits at 14 PSI, If adding the rocomended dose of D.E pressure sits at 34, with the water barely moving.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.